CARE International has been responding to the Syrian crisis since 2012, commencing with support to refugees in Jordan. The CARE Turkey Country Office was established and registered in August 2013 in response to the dire humanitarian situation experienced by civilian populations across northern Syria. Significant influxes of refugees to Turkey in 2014 expanded CARE’s Turkey operations and resulted in a significant program and operational growth. This pace of growth has continued into 2020. CARE supports communities affected by conflict and/or displacement – especially women, girls and boys – to become self-reliant, empowered and able to achieve basic needs and rights.
CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. In response to CARE increased Syrian response cross-border humanitarian works the program is now endeavoring to undertake an inside NW Syria direct implementation to address humanitarian needs, enhance the quality of our programming and maximum response capacity and support to CARE’s partners. We are looking for a trustworthy, dynamic, innovative and resourceful person to join the Area office in the capacity of Area WASH & Shelter Assistant to be based in Jarablus, northern Aleppo, Syria.
The Area WASH & Shelter Assistant will be a member of the Area office program team and report directly to the Area WASH & Shelter officer. The Area WASH & Shelter assistant will support the day-to-day implementation of the WASH & Shelter projects in northern Aleppo.
S/he will be responsible for assisting the delivery of high-quality WASH & Shelter (including infrastructural) interventions in northern Aleppo and under the direct supervision of Area WASH & Shelter officer and Coordinator and will support the implementation of water supply, water networks maintenance, hygiene promotion, and support to the emergency and recovery shelter.
The person is expected to have strong interpersonal skills, understanding, cooperative, organized, a high ability to work within a team to take initiative and skills in influencing to support policy and advocacy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility #1 Project Implementation
· Assist the Wash/Shelter officer in developing messaging around project implementation methodology, scope of work, selection criteria and any other related beneficiary project documents and supervise Wash/Shelter Assistants in the delivery of such messaging to beneficiaries and stakeholders.
· Under the supervision of the WASH & Shelter officer ensure timely and technically sound planning, implementation and monitoring of WASH-Shelter activities/projects, including budget responsibility, in the assigned areas
· Assist in preparing and maintain up to date work plans and expenditures plans, in line with project and budget documents.
· Ensure project implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
· Anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation
· Provide ongoing, regular technical support to field labors and ensure that WASH & Shelter activities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
· Follow up on the WASH progress report, weekly reports and monthly reports.
· Assist in developing any required BOQs and technical specifications needed.
· Prepare reports on weekly basis to the line manager
· Follow up with various teams on the delivery schedule, payment approvals and vendor payments to avoid any unnecessary delays;
· Working in harmony with all other Area team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH & shelter activities.
· Ensure that work aims to meet Minimum Standards and adheres to global WASH standards such as sphere/WHO standards.
Job Responsibility #2 Project Implementation Administration and Operational Follow up.
· Assist in procurement and financial processes related to WASH & Shelter projects, and ensure they are in line with CARE policies and procedures.
· Contribute to the development of Procurement plans.
· Contribute to quality checks and procurement committees to finalize suppliers’ selection according to the applicable scenario.
· Monitor suppliers/contractors' products/services to ensure that specifications are met.
· Coordinate with various teams on the project related delivery schedule, payment approvals and vendor payments to avoid any unnecessary delays.
· Ensure all services or equipment provided by local vendors/contractors are in alignment with approved technical specifications.
· Collaboration. The position-holder is responsible for maintaining a collaborative working environment with other team members.
Job Responsibility #3 Project Quality.
· Work closely with the M&E team, review WASH interventions, update and analyzing beneficiary database in collaboration with data management team.
· Conduct participatory monitoring of water quality (i.e. free residual chlorine test) in IDP camps.
· Conduct monitoring and technical assistance to community for maintenance and repairs of water and sanitation facilities.
· Evaluate the construction result, community’s responds on its function and maintenance in coordination with hygiene promoters.
· Ensure all services or equipment provided by local vendors/contractors are in alignment with approved technical specifications
· Contribute to the refining of data collection, monitoring, and reporting tools, and to the harmonization of WASH, CCCM, and Shelter methodologies and tools across the area.
· Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and reflected in project planning and decision making
· Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members
· Comply with CARE policies and practices with respect to gender and diversity, child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, and equal opportunities.
· Any other duties as required.
· University Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or related field. Technical degree or certification in related field with significant applicable experience.
· Project Management qualification (PMD, PMP, PRINCE2)
· At least 2 years of experience in humanitarian experience, including working at least 1 years in shelter and WASH projects.
· Experience in do-no-harm approaches in a humanitarian context, preferably in Syrian context
· Experience in working with NGOs and fully understand WASH and Shelter program system.
· Demonstrated understanding of and experience with policies, protocols, and procedures of international NGO’s and donor agencies.
· Familiarity with AutoCAD software
· Can-Do Attitude
· Highly skilled in organizing large-scale, fast-paced, responsive field programs.
· Solid ability to provide team-building, coaching, and development for staff as well as encourage cross-functional collaboration and cooperation.
· Advanced professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, and knowledge of IT system.
· Excellent proven communication skills, including working with multiple stakeholder groups, including children.
· Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
· Ability to handle a high workload and to work independently.
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
· Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure.
· Ability to work well in unstable and changing security environments.
· Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills.
· Strong skills in inter-personal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment.
· Strong skills in written communication, including effective report writing
· Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts.
· Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application
· Fluent both in Arabic.
· English language skills is desired.
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse, and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
A valid identity is required for work possession, and the candidate can start work in CARE only upon delivery of all the required documents, also upon submitting any fake or incorrect document, the job offer will be canceled or the employment contract will be terminated if the falsification of files or certificates is detected. Later.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates, please attach a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to provided link
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
* CARE International is an Equal Opportunity Employer *