Philippines nationals: WASH Assistant #2
Acción Contra El Hambre
Bachelor's (Or Equivalent)
Please note: this job post has expired! To the best of our knowledge, this job is no longer available and this page remains here for archival purposes only.
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by ...
- To improve IDPs access to emergency water and sanitation and hygiene services.
- As part of the Action Against Hunger Philippine Mission WASH intervention, the WASH assistant will be in charge of all activities pertaining to safeguarding and improving the public health of the affected and the most vulnerable population. The post-holder is responsible for implementing behaviour change methodology (PHAST), ensuring appropriate community involvement and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities, ensuring positive acceptance of Action Against Hunger in the area of interventions, and leading Hygiene Promotion in the implementation of the activities.
Key activities in your role will include
Objective 1. Emergency Response
- Initial Rapid Assessment in affected areas
- Identify the emergency WASH needs and assist in the planning and implementation of the emergency WASH activities
- Coordination with camps, communities, and Government staff at field level
- Daily reporting and updates of field activities
Objective 2. Programming
- Conducting hygiene promotion sessions in the targeted community.
- Identification, training and follow-up of activities of community hygiene promotion volunteers.
- Training of Trainers in hygiene promotion to WASH committee members, hygiene volunteers, teachers, health workers etc.
- Ensure household and school level hygiene promotion activities are conducted in coordination with relevant agencies at the field.
- Facilitate the creation and capacity building of Provincial, Municipal WASH Task Forces & Councils and BAWASA for the sustainability of WASH inputs.
- Conduct assessments and surveys to identify and design hygiene promotion strategy in coordination and consultation with WASH Engineers.
- Ensuring maximum utilization of water and sanitation facilities.
- Organize & supervise the distribution of hygiene, cleaning and water treatment kit.
- To assist the team in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring the Hygiene Promotion component of Action Against Hunger Program.
- Responsible for mobilization of communities, including project buy-in, identification of local resources, and management of community expectations.
- Monitor WASH programme indicators regularly with extra emphasis on community awareness on WASH and public health risk in coordination with relevant line agencies.
- To encourage and stimulate full participation by all community members, with special attention to those who are marginalized and overlooked in community decision making (inclusive approach) and develop trust, tolerance and cooperation among the community members through mobilizations process.
- To collect relevant data required related to key indicators from the community and other stakeholders and prepare regular reports.
- Facilitate distribution of essential hygiene materials, where required and within project design
- Participate in any kind of survey required for the work of Action Against Hunger.
Objective 3: Reporting
- Weekly (or each time necessary) written and oral report for line manager.
- Report any damage to the project/project facility caused by natural or human-made calamity and properly record WASH-related field implementation progress
- Archiving project technical documents systematically to facilitate organizational level learning, memory and reporting.
- Consolidate annual technical reports of Action Against Hunger project teams and of partners
Objective 4: Security
- Adhere to the Mission Reporting system and submit the reports requested on-time
- Respect the Security rules of Action Against Hunger and coordinate with the Security Officer / Head of Project for any security issues relating to work
- Report any security or other incidents in the field that may interrupt project activities directly to Base Security Officer / Head of Project.
Do you meet the profile required criteria?
- Bachelor’s degree in Community Development, Nursing, Public Health or other relevant fields
- Technical Knowledge:
- Mobilization of the community conflict related issues in WASH activities.
- Familiarity with the local culture, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters.
- At least 1-2 years’ relevant experience and understanding of Hygiene Promotion and community mobilization in relation to water and sanitation activities.
- Has experience working in an emergency response (conflict setting desirable).
- Excellent English and Filipino language. Speaking the Bicol dialect is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of Office package (Word and Excel)
- Valuable prior experience in issues related to the promotion of gender equality or personal commitment to gender equality.
Our remuneration package:
- Compensation: based on Action Against Hunger grid.
- Benefits: health insurance, accident and life insurance, leave entitlement, government-mandated benefits
- Project-based Employment