Australia nationals: Chair of the Basin Community Committee (BCC)
We are seeking expressions of interest, via application, from members of the community for appointment as Chair of the Basin Community Committee, commencing September 2021.
The Basin Community Committee is established under the Water Act 2007 and is established for 3 years. The Committee’s function is to provide advice to Basin governments and the Murray–Darling Basin Authority (the Authority) about the performance of the Authority’s functions, including:
• Engaging the community in the preparation of each draft Basin Plan; and
• Community matters relating to the Basin water resources; and
• Matters referred to the Committee by the Authority.
The members of the Committee undertake to work together to perform the function of the Committee in accordance with the requirements set forth in the Water Act 2007.
The Committee includes a Chair and up to 16 Committee members, including one member of the Authority. Members are selected based on their expertise or interest in water use, water management, Indigenous, environment and local government matters.
Committee members are important local contacts for the Authority and provide a community perspective on a wide range of issues. They have up to four face to face meetings a year, out of session teleconferences and also participate in regional activities of the Authority. They also engage with other advisory communities established by the Authority as required.
To assist in its advisory role the Committee forms irrigation, environmental water and Indigenous water subcommittees. These committees help better inform any advice to the Authority and Ministerial Council. Committee members are required to participate in these subcommittees.
The Chair is a member of the Committee and is required to perform their role as a member. Additionally, the Chair is accountable for:
• Leading the Committee members to perform the function of the Committee
• Calling regular and extraordinary meetings of the Committee and subcommittees of the Committee as required
• Liaising with the Authority, as needed and required, on behalf of the Committee
• Chairing meetings and ensure appropriate record keeping
• Ensuring that the requirements of the Committee as set out in the Water Act 2007 are met by the Committee.
To be eligible for appointment to the Committee, applicants must have a high level of expertise or interest in one or more of the following:
• Community, indigenous or local government matters relevant to the Basin water resources; or
• Irrigated agriculture; or
• Environmental water management.
To be eligible to be appointed Chair of the Committee, applicants must be able to demonstrate leadership and/or experience in similar committee structures.
How to Apply:
Applications for appointment to the Committee, including the role of Chair, must be made in writing and must be in the form of:
• A completed online application form,
• An attached one-page cover letter addressing the applicants suitability for appointment (applications are to be addressed to the Chief Executive), and
• An attached resume of relevant experience and/or qualification.
The closing date for submitted applications is 3 December 2020.
Questions regarding this Expression of Interest or the application process can be direct to: Alex Anthony on (02) 6279 0790 or .
All applications will receive an acknowledgement of receipt. The assessment and selection process will ensue post the closing date. References maybe undertaken as part of the assessment process but should not be considered confirmation of appointment.
Successful applicants will be notified by telephone of their appointment, with further written confirmation and instrument of appointment provided thereafter.
Unsuccessful applicants will receive written notification of their status at the conclusion of the selection process.