Job Title: Senior Climate Change Development Officer, Conservation Solutions / Global Resources
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Job Type: Full-Time
Department:Reports to: Senior Program Officer, Climate Change Mitigation (Conservation Solutions)Head of Global Corporate Engagement
- Executive Director, Markets Program, Conservation Solutions
- Director, REDD+ and Forest Conservation Program, Conservation Solutions
- Head of Philanthropy and Partnerships, Western Region
Objective: The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) seeks an ambitious and experienced Senior Climate Change Development Officer to mobilize significant new finance for the WCS’s global portfolio of work linking forest conservation and climate change. His/her primary responsibilities will be 1) Design and implement strategies to engage with individual, foundation and corporate donors to support WCS’s broader forest conservation and climate change work, in particular the Trillion Trees and Intact Forests programs; and 2) to work closely with the head of Global Corporate Engagement to design and implement a REDD+ marketing strategy. This strategy will increase the sales of REDD+ credits from WCS’ REDD+ portfolio and expand our relationships with the corporate sector.
- Understand and effectively communicate Wildlife Conservation Society’s history, mission, impact, and goals to prospective corporate partners, individual donors, foundations and other stakeholders.
- Design strategies to engage with individual, foundation and corporate donors to support WCS’s forest conservation and broader climate change work, especially on the West Coast and with an emphasis on:
- building support for the Trillion Trees program (comprising major field projects supported by a science-based vision for forest restoration and avoided deforestation at a global scale) and
- building the philanthropic partnership that will drive growth of the Intact Forests Initiative (which has a complementary focus on avoiding degradation of the world’s last great intact forests)
- Execute strategies to substantially expand carbon credit sales through existing corporate partners, develop new buyers and engage with carbon brokerage firms.
- Work closely with the Head of Global Corporate Engagement to build the portfolio of existing partners to include carbon purchases, and identify new corporate partners through the vehicle of carbon offsets.
- Accompany prospective buyers on trips to visit WCS field projects as requested.
- Work closely with REDD+ technical staff and project managers to facilitate close of sales and liaise with carbon brokerage firms to meet their marketing needs.
- Work with the CS team and Global Resources staff to ensure accurate and timely maintenance of required information in donor databases, including projections, proposal status, actions, and accurate contact information.
- Liaise with appropriate Global Resources staff to ensure integrated and coordinated engagements
- Work with the VP, Conservation Strategy and other CS staff to build, deepen and expand engagement with donors, partners and other stakeholders, especially on the West Coast
- Perform all other duties as required.
Qualifications: Demonstrated success in external engagement and fundraising. Strong commitment to the mission and vision of WCS with the ability to serve as a compelling ambassador for the organization. Excellent writing, organizational, interpersonal and teamwork skills, and great attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to work independently and to interact successfully with high-level donors/prospects and senior program staff. Knowledge of REDD+, climate change and forest conservation issues is strongly preferred. Knowledge of intersections between corporate sustainability and wildlife conservation is preferred. Well-traveled and working knowledge of global issues and geography. Foreign language skills a plus.