Watershed management specialist
Chemonics seeks a watershed management specialist for its ongoing five-year, $40 million USAID Reforestation Project in the Northern Region of Haiti. The project focuses on improving tree cover and management in the Nord and Nord-Est Departments of Haiti, and the resilience of the targeted populations to natural and economic shocks, and it has three Results: (1) Tree cover in targeted areas significantly increased and deforestation threats reduced; (2) Resilience to economic and natural shocks improved; and (3) Environmental governance and coordination improved.
As a full-time personnel based in Cap-Haitian, the watershed management specialist will work closely with the project’s senior management and the two regional departments to facilitate the implementation of the Project strategy and ensure smooth internal collaboration. In addition, S/he will be responsible for quality control, harmonization and efficacy of technical packages produced and promoted by the Project and will also provide technical monitoring and evaluation oversight on the execution of the work plan in collaboration with the MEL department. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world
- Provide technical direction and develop the strategic plan to reduce threats to deforestation and improve environmental governance and coordination components; coordinate the activities of these two components
- Develop the project strategy to facilitate investments in agroforestry and reforestation, and support local governance for better management and protection of natural resources
- Guide the development of practical and realistic land use planning and management plans for the target sub-watersheds, applying the Community Options Analysis and Investment Toolkit (COAIT) and land use planning.
- Identify, among other aspects, the priority areas of agroforestry, reforestation and conservation taking into account the necessary environmental services, the protection of biodiversity, the creation of wealth, and the satisfaction of the needs of the market in fruits, fuels, and timber
- Facilitate the establishment or strengthening of an observatory for tree cover and reforestation, with the support of the mapping specialist
- Manage, direct and supervise the technical aspects of the project related to the increase in tree cover to include, among other aspects, (i) supporting target communities to select, depending on the agroforestry systems targeted or promoted, tree species with economic value, adapted to the ecological conditions of the target areas, and meeting their specific needs. , (ii) facilitate the identification, protection, promotion and use of improved germplasm, and (iii) ensure the production, planting and management of seedlings
- Guide the development of practical and realistic risk and disaster management plans for the target municipalities
- Strengthen the capacity of local authorities and governments for the increase of local governance with better application of policies, laws and regulations relating to the management and protection of natural resources, the improvement of environmental services, and sustainable increase. wealth in their jurisdiction for increasing resilience to natural and economic shocks and disasters
- Facilitate synergy and relations with the municipalities and institutions of the Dominican Republic which collaborate with the municipalities targeted by the project in the management of natural resources and risks and disasters
- Promote, within the project implementation team, an approach to rural development, and management of watersheds and risks and disasters based on the active and responsible participation of local authorities and institutions and target communities
- Work in close collaboration with the project director, the deputy director, the other component managers and the monitoring, evaluation, and learning specialist to support the technical coordination of the project
- Serve as liaison with departmental directors and state institutions, local authorities, community organizations and institutions and beneficiaries with regard to good governance, and the rational management of watersheds, and risks and disasters
- Facilitate the collection of data for the monitoring and evaluation of the impact of the activities of the component and write the related reports
- Post-graduate degree or equivalent experience in natural resource management, watershed management, forestry, agronomy
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in watershed management, reforestation, agroforestry, or risk and disaster management
- Good analytical skills and knowledge of grassroots organizations and Haitian social environment, and proven experience in the participatory community approach
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks, focus on details and work independently or in a team
- Presence and availability during office hours are required
- Ability to work in a professional and cordial manner with other staff, implementing and cooperating partners, as well as relevant NGOs and government agencies
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in French and Creole and good knowledge of English is a plus
This position is local position but CCNs, TCNs, and Expats are welcome to apply through Chemonics’s Career Center or send email electronic submissions including your CV and cover letter to URPrecruitment@chemonics.com by November 30, 2020 with “Watershed management specialist” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.