Posting expires: 11/22/20
Salary range: $54,700 - $91,100
Here at the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our Police Officers, Fire Fighters, and Building Inspectors keep our Citizens safe. Our Public Works Staff keep our City clean and help to maintain, build, and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life. Our Engineers help to keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating, and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you’re seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
General Description and Classification Standards
Manages professional/technical engineering projects including, engineering design and review, standards, survey work, inspections, and other engineering project components. Manages various project design development for water/wastewater linear infrastructure of various lengths, prepares construction plans and specifications for contractors to follow, and provides solutions for short term and long term water, wastewater, and storm water issues in order to keep the City of Atlanta's infrastructure functional for its current and future corporate and private citizens. Supports a full range of DWM operations by delivering this data in formats and in applications that supports critical planning, engineering, and decision support activities across the enterprise. This is a highly experienced professional who routinely exercises project leadership over complex projects, trains other professionals, or serves as a specialized subject matter expert in one or more specific areas. This level would be expected to have noticeably greater leadership or technical responsibilities than the senior level.
Works under very general supervision. Will work independently with responsibility for managing assigned functions, as well as subordinate staff.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Research and prepare guidelines for alternative material and construction installation methods for use in the water and wastewater linear assets.
- Manages the development of various design plans and engineering solutions to address water/wastewater system challenges and problems.
- Review engineering and technical documents and performs necessary engineering analysis and calculations.
- Prepare exhibits and engineering cost estimates for potential sewer realignments and small diameter rehabilitation projects.
- Coordinate with internal/external staff and design consultants and directs their daily activity as required.
- Provides technical input, documents research, manages design budget, reviews invoices, and attends project meetings as part of providing professional insight and support.
- Ensure quality assurance/quality control for all technical design drawings, technical specifications, engineering cost estimates.
- Develop necessary erosion control, buffer variance, and related permitting design documents.
- Perform necessary site visits and constructability reviews and coordinates with survey team to obtain necessary asset attribute data.
- Serve as Engineer of Record for various water and wastewater linear projects/contracts.
- Stamps/seals necessary drawings and design documents.
- Review project as-builts and certifies documents as final.
- Respond to various internal/external requests for information (RFIs).
Selects from multiple procedures and methods to accomplish tasks. May make purchasing or resource decisions.
Has managerial support of a group of professional, technical, or administrative employees.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Extensive knowledge of civil and environmental engineering and engineering design; working of water and wastewater construction; working knowledge of computer aided drafting systems.
- Skill in operating survey equipment a plus; skills in public speaking and interpersonal relations; skill in operating a computer and software; skill in providing excellent leadership to lower-level engineers and project staff.
- Ability to operate personal computer, digitizer, plotters, and related equipment; ability to design and develop relational databases; ability to instruct others in the operation and use of engineering software; ability to direct the work of others; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other divisions and the public; ability to follow written and oral instructions; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to read, interpret and produce maps, surveys, engineering drawings and graphics from engineering software; ability to use CAD, Microsoft Office, hydraulic analysis software programs, and GIS.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- 5 years of engineering experience which includes three years of experience related to the vacancy.
Licensures and Certifications
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) license required.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $54,700.00 - $91,100.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- engineering: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Professional Engineering (Required)
- One location
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19