Graduate Scientist/Engineer (Flood & Water Management)
Do you have a passion for understanding and managing flood and surface water management systems across both natural and built environments. In our Flood and Water Management Group, we have projects in hydrological and hydrodynamic modelling for river and drainage systems, sustainable drainage, climate change impact analysis and resilience, satellite data applications, statistical modelling and numerical emulators, and water resources management planning. We use state of the art software, build new tools and web applications, develop frameworks and write guidance. We have a fantastic opportunity for the right individual to join our diverse team of flood and water management experts.
About the role
You will work closely with team members to deliver projects and support clients across our Floods and Water business. You will be supported in your career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification
You will have technical knowledge, project experience and a strong interest in some or all of the following attributes (or an aspiration to attain them):
- A good degree in a relevant discipline (essential) e.g. Civil/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography or Maths. A higher degree in a water related discipline would also be advantageous;
- Technical knowledge and a strong interest in hydrology, flood risk management, drainage and/or water resources including the application and/or development of numerical models;
- Some programming experience (skills in Python and/or the R statistical package would be useful, together with an interest in using these skills in the development and implementation of innovative solutions to water management);
- Experience and confidence in data analysis and dealing with large volume data sets;
- Experience using Geographic Information Systems (GIS e.g. ArcView, QGIS);
- Knowledge and interest in decision-making methods for strategic planning;
- Good attention to detail, record keeping, presentation and report writing skills; and
- Ability to work within a team to deliver a common goal.
Our people are our most important asset. We are committed to recruiting and retaining staff of the highest calibre – people who have the desire and determination to succeed and be ambitious, not only for themselves but for their colleagues and clients too. We are relentless in our drive to create an exceptional working environment and we look for energy and positivity to ensure our staff remain inspired. We offer a stimulating working environment that seeks to surprise colleagues and clients with what we can achieve together. We share knowledge, ideas and experience to underpin our value of working collaboratively.
Our benefits package for full time employees includes:
- A competitive defined contribution pension scheme
- Life insurance cover of three times salary if you are member of the pension scheme
- Competitive holiday, plus three days discretionary company holiday and eight bank holidays,
- Permanent health insurance.
- Flexible working hours which allows for additional leave to be taken subject to hours accrued and business needs.
- Onsite restaurant, gym and nursery.
- Active sports and social club.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
Our head office is based at Howbery Park near Wallingford, in Oxfordshire, United Kingdom. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnerships.
We are interested in relevant applicants looking for either part time, full time or fixed term employment. Helping our people achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us, and we would be happy to explore flexible working and job share arrangements, including part-time and remote working. Please talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
How to apply
Click the "Apply now" button below to complete our online job application form. You will need to attach a two-page CV, tailored to this position, and a covering letter.
Closing date: 15th November 2020
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our workplace. We do not discriminate, and work to create an inclusive culture across our business.