Local recruitment: Environmental Specialist
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group (WBG)’s twin goals of ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity reflect a new global landscape: one in which developing countries have an unprecedented opportunity to end extreme poverty within a generation.
Sustainable environment and natural resources management (ENRM) is at the heart of the WBG's poverty agenda. Biodiversity and natural resources constitute the social safety net of the poor, representing a food bank and often their only source of livelihood. Sustainable ENRM promotes a green, clean, and resilient world where natural resources – from forests to fisheries, freshwater, oceans, coastal zones and ecosystems – are managed to support livelihoods and strong economies. Sustainable ENRM builds a world better prepared for shocks and global challenges, helping countries limit their exposure to resource scarcity, more-volatile weather patterns, and the long-term consequences of climate change.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy (ENB) Global Practice has been set-up to deliver on the opportunities, benefits and outcomes offered by enhanced management of the environment and natural resources. The ENR GP has close to 300 operations under management, representing close to $7 billion, and a growing pipeline of new investments under active development. The practice consists of some 300 staff across the world plus numerous other staff in other Practices and Cross Cutting SAs that are professionally associated with it.ENR GP also manages the environmental risk aspects of about 2000 projects in the World Bank’s global portfolio. About 150 staff work specifically on environmental risk management safeguards.
ENB has three broad and distinct functions:
1. Provides clients with lending and non-lending services aimed to support the GP’s three core business lines, namely: (i) Forests, Watersheds and Sustainable Landscapes; (ii) Marine, Coastal and Aquatic Resources; and (iii) Pollution Management and Environmental Health. The GP’s activities also include a focus on Clean and Resilient Growth through its work on environmental economics and support to institutional development.
2. Supports effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development, in part through the implementation of the Bank’s environmental policies.
3. Works closely with other sectors, including by leveraging grant financing, to mainstream environmental considerations into their policies, strategies, and operations.
If you are a highly-qualified Environmental Specialist, we urge you to apply to join our team in Lima, Peru. Your specific role will include the following tasks:
i) Strategic Dialogue
* Provide policy and strategic inputs to the environmental risk management agenda across the Andean region, thus positioning the WBG at the forefront of the agenda;
* Advise, at a technical manner, government and Bank staff on environmental risk management;
* Support broader environment policy dialogue with the client and relevant development partners active across the Andean region.
* Seek and develop opportunities to improve and integrate sound environmental management and policies in World Bank operations, including improving environmental benefits and providing value-added service, and the capacities of relevant local clients and other stakeholders;
* Coordinate and sharing information with Bank staff and consultants providing environmental risk management project support; and
* Contribute as required to the broader work of ENB GP on improving environmental sustainability.
ii) Environmental Risk Management
* Provide direct support on environmental risk management to substantial and moderate risk projects across the Andean region portfolio. You will be asked to provide a range of technical support to Bank projects and activities, including in the following potential areas where the client will rely on you for support and guidance:
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA);
- Environmental Management Plan (EMP);
- Environmental Management Frameworks;
- Other forms of environmental assessments/analysis;
- Environmental risk analysis and management;
- Occupation health and safety management;
- Environmental, occupational health, and safety laws, regulations and requirements;
- Bank environmental safeguard requirements and approaches/strategies for assuring compliance in Bank financed projects;
- Design and implementation of mitigation strategies in areas of risk;
- Project design in order to improve environmental benefits and welfare impacts, as well as to meet project outcomes;
- Engineering principals, practices, and methods and their application to environmental work;
- Design, construction, operation, and maintenance of infrastructure in relation to environmental, health and safety management; and
- Environmental management and pollution control, including wastewater treatment, hazardous and solid waste, air pollution, environmental monitoring systems, public health impacts, environmental remediation, soil and groundwater investigation and remediation, emergency and contingency planning and response, environmental management systems, and health and safety management systems.
* Ensure the effective integration of environmental due diligence as defined by World Bank Group Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and the 10 associated Environmental and Social Standards (ESS), as well as safeguards policies and international good practice documents (e.g. Equator Principles) into the design, appraisal and implementation of WBG supported projects.
* Provide expert advice to client and counterpart organizations, project teams and WBG management with regard to the preparation of environmental impact assessments, including regional, strategic and cumulative assessments; environmental management frameworks and plans, including plans for monitoring, reporting and evaluation; public consultation plans; and specific plans related to natural habitats conservation, natural resource management, pest management, forest management, dam safety and international waterways management and occupational health and safety among others; such advice will be based on thorough analysis of baseline conditions, project scope and impacts, requirements from national legal and institutional frameworks and compliance with the WBG’s operational policies and the ESF.
* Provide expert guidance to clients in tendering and contracting specialized consultant services for environmental risk assessment and management tasks, including the preparation of terms of reference (ToR) for environmental safeguard instruments (see above).
* Provide environmental input in project documents in accordance with the Bank operational policies including Project Concept Note (PCN), Integrated Safeguards Data Sheet (ISDS under safeguards policies) and Environmental and Social Review Summary, (ESRS, under ESF), Project Appraisal Document (PAD) and Decision/Negotiations Packages, and assist with managing timely and proper disclosure procedures and public consultation requirements for all required environmental assessment and management instruments.
* Participate as team member in the development and/or supervision of Bank operations related to Bank environmental safeguard policies and the ESF and project-specific environmental requirements; seeking and developing opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and policies in various investment project operations; maintaining regular dialog with the client and enhancing their capacity for understanding of and compliance with environmental policies and the ESF; and contributing to mission outputs such as back to office reports (BTORs) and Aide Memoires.
* Actively seek to learn World Bank Group procedures, and contribute to their improvement, by participating in training offered, by developing a personal training program, keeping abreast of research and development knowledge in the environment and natural resources sector, and relevant safeguard management process.
* A Masters or more in environmental risk management, environmental policy, engineering or other relevant discipline;
* A minimum of five years of full-time relevant experience, especially focused on policy dialogue, but including experience with environmental risk management, environmental impact assessment (in water supply and sanitation, energy, and other sectors);
* An ability to articulate an environment and environmental risk management agenda;
* Knowledge of World Bank operational policies and procedures an asset, and familiarity with and leadership of different WB instruments, including DPOs and IPFs, as well as our Environment and Social Framework and environmental safeguards, policies, and procedures;
* Understanding of the environmental regulatory and institutional framework in LCR countries, with a particular knowledge of Peru desired;
* Proven project management skills, including client management, scheduling and budgeting, financial management, procurement, and project team management;
* Proven ability to communicate, exercise good judgment, solve problems, and exercise diplomacy in a work environment with tight processing constraints and complex development issues
* Experience with the planning and conduct of training programs for external and internal audiences concerning environmental risk/safeguards management;
* Excellent writing and communication skills;
* Fluency in written and oral Spanish and English;
* Ability to travel frequently; and
* Knowledge of relevant software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).