Regional Environmental Manager
Our team is seeking an experienced Environmental Professional who will lead environmental strategy, compliance & excellence, and execution for Australia operations. The role is responsible for ensuring strategy and operational tactics are executed by providing technical support for existing operations and future expansion in an ambiguous, fast-paced environmental across multiple facilities and business units within Australia. This role will be based at an operations or office location locally and will report through the Amazon Worldwide Environmental Assurance and Protection Field Operations team. The Regional Environmental Manager will also be responsible for collaborating with operations leadership teams, site teams, facilities, and WHS teams to create and execute company environmental procedures and ensure compliance with all applicable National, State and Local regulations. The successful candidate will lead in rolling out environmental programs, assist with internal audit protocols, create hazmat waste compliance processes and support change initiatives across the AU network. By focusing on standards & procedures, risk assessments and compliance evaluations, this individual will lead continuous improvement initiatives to minimize environmental aspects and impacts and communicate and implement best practices across AU business network.
The ideal candidate must be able to work successfully in a fast-paced environment, be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. They must possess proficiency in program and environmental regulatory knowledge and act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME), and demonstrate this expertise when partnering with teams throughout the operations.
This position will directly report to APAC & MENA Environmental Leader.
The candidate will be managing a wide range of outputs, including liaison with other critical support functions such as Operations, WHS, Facilities, Legal, Dangerous Goods, Engineering, Facilities, Procurement, Learning and Development, Real Estate and New Build teams in order to effectively deliver through Stakeholder management, environmental metrics, targets, and process improvements. The extent of the duties will include:
· Manage and execute multi-site responsibilities to comply with air emissions, stormwater, waste, wastewater, and other environmental related laws, regulations and permits, which includes National, State, and Local reporting (as needed)
· Develop and maintain a customer obsessed relationship with business partners to support their success in environmental compliance and performance
· Support with creation of Country Level Environmental procedures to ensure operational strategy is delivered and that key elements of other critical functional processes are aligned to achieve continual environmental performance
· Manage and execute business conformance with Amazon Environmental policies and standards through effective execution of Amazon Operational Environmental Procedures.
· Support with environmental programs’ implementation at a site-level
· Monitor and provide guidance on site performance against applicable environmental regulations, programs and Amazon global policies
· Ensure site leadership and Associates are trained and knowledgeable of their responsibilities under each policy. Audit the quality, delivery (including qualifications of the trainer), and effectiveness of all required environmental training
· Provide strategic environmental support and regulatory review for future business growth and expansion
· Partner with operations, special projects and support teams in supporting the change management process
· Analyze environmental metrics and review weekly and monthly trends to determine where improvements are needed
· Measure and analyze sites’ performance against published requirements in environmental policies. For all deficiencies, identify a plan for the site to implement and fix all identified deficiencies
· Insist on the highest standards to ensure protection of business risks
· Oversee work performed by relevant contractors and consultants
· Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed in a timely manner
· Conduct risk assessments and audits as necessary
· Establish project milestones for plan development and permitting at new launch locations or site expansions
· Assist sites with recordkeeping and periodic reviews to ensure record retention requirements are met
· Ensure compliance calendar regulatory requirements and Amazon program tasks are current.
· Ensure equipment that requires environmental preventative maintenance (PM) is appropriately logged and tracked
· Develop relevant environmental procedures as dictated by business and regulatory needs. Train and monitor to ensure proper execution
· Assist sites with action plan development for any deficiencies noted from trends, audits and inspections
· Evaluate and develop process improvements for identified risks.
· Facilitate root cause analyses for all environmental incidents and recommend appropriate corrective actions for network implementation
· Show initiative to identify and implement corrective actions to eliminate any observed non-compliance or potential non-compliance situations
· A Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical or Environmental Science / Engineering / Management or other environmental related field of study
· Preferable 6+ years of experience as an environmental technical resource, program specialist or program manager
· In depth knowledge of Australian National and State-specific environmental legislations
· Experience in managing and complex environmental programs for air, waste, and water and AU regulatory risk assessments and permitting needs
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with site and regional leaders
· Demonstrate a level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others and achieve results
· Experience in engaging with Regulatory Agency in permit applications
· Experience in managing change in multiple site environment and ability to influence peers and superiors
· Ability to adapt well to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, directions and strategy
· Proven track record of sound decision making, taking ownership and delivering results
· Must be willing to travel 50% or greater
· Advanced degree or professional certification in an Environmental (or Sustainability / EHS related fields)
· ISO 14000 or equivalent auditing experience preferred
· Experience in logistics is preferred
· Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
· Ability to develop and implement department goals and strategies
· Proficient in Microsoft Office and the use of pivot tables and the development of charts and graphics
· Ability to manage multiple sites / remotely