Water Resource Engineer
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 40 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Dewberry is currently seeking a Water Resource Engineer for our Resilience Solutions team in our Fairfax, VA office. This position will support water resource projects nationwide including flood hazard modeling, flood risk assessment, and storm water management for Federal, state, local, and commercial clients. This is an excellent career opportunity for an individual to join a growing team of professionals while working in a multidisciplinary consulting and engineering firm. The position offers great potential for professional growth and the opportunity to apply the latest technology to flood studies and water resource projects.
Technical responsibilities include:
- Hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) analyses for modeling and mapping floodplains and floodways in riverine and urban areas
- Analysis and modeling of urban drainage and storm water management infrastructure
- Developing as a technical leader and subject matter expert for water resources engineering through performing engineering analysis and progressively building proficiency with complex projects
- Training, coaching, and mentoring junior staff
- Production of Flood Insurance Studies and Risk MAP products and updating related geospatial databases
- Developing flood risk products and performing flood risk assessments
- Developing innovative and technical solutions for successful delivery of engineering projects
- Providing support in water resources and resiliency aspects of multi-disciplinary projects for integrated water resources and watershed master planning
- Writing complex technical reports and communicating results to clients
Required Skills & Required Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, a Masters or Ph.D. in water resources engineering is highly preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience in H&H modeling and design
- Professional Engineer license (PE) preferred.
- Experience in 2D and unsteady H&H modeling
- Proficiency in GIS
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience mentoring junior engineering staff
- Ability to present and explain highly complex solutions to non-technical audience and clients
- Experience in modeling levee/dam failure analysis
- Experience in geospatial programming using Python
- Experience in data analysis using R
- Experience in resilience analysis, sustainability and green infrastructure
- Knowledge of the National Flood Insurance Program
- Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM)
- Water quality modeling
- Storm water modeling and design
- Experience in big data analytics
- Knowledge of climate science
- Masters in systems engineering
Must have a valid driver’s license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.