Environmental Expert (EU WFD Implementation)
Project title: Technical assistance on preparation of river basin management plans for 6 basins - Turkey
Brief description of the project:
The overall objective of the project is to achieve good water status through implementing the EU WFD (2000/60/EC) and the related daughter directives.
The purpose of the project is strengthening Turkey’s capacity for the preparation of River Basin Management Plans in accordance with the WFD planned to be prepared for all basins by the end of 2023 which is stated as one of the closing benchmarks of the Environment and Climate Change Chapter.
Results to be achieved by the Contractor
- The main results to attain the Project objectives are:
- Progress was made on the fulfilment the closing benchmark of Environment and Climate Change Chapter through preparation of 6 RBMPs.
- Meeting water demand equitably for each sector was ensured by the preparation of 6 SWAPs based on sharing the benefits of water use rather than on sharing the water itself in 6 basins considering the effects of climate change and drought analysis.
- Legislation for strengthening the current institutional structure to apply the requirements of Basin Sectoral Water Allocation Plans was prepared.
- Institutional and public capacity was improved.
- Determination of Environmental and Health Impacts of the Implementation of Environmental Quality Standards in Doğu Akdeniz Basin.
Key expert 2: Environmental Expert
The Environmental Expert, the key full time expert, should have a solid background in projects related to the implementation of the WFD and other EU water quality sector requirements. The Environmental Expert will be responsible for all the activities related to the development of River Basin Management Plans. Besides, the expert will also take role for the preparation of the SEA reports, and case study for the implementation of EQS study, and be in charge of integration of the SWAPs.
Commencement date of the project: 1 February 2021 (tentatively)
Duration of the assignment: 42 months
Qualifications and skills:
- At least Bachelor’s degree in an Environment/Ecology-related discipline (e.g. Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, Environmental Sciences, Biology, Ecology, Chemistry or other natural sciences related with the Ecology);
- Good command of written and spoken English.
General professional experience
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the field of environment.
Specific professional experience
- At least 5 years experience in an EU Member State and/or candidate country related with WFD and/or other EU water quality sector Directives;
- At least 2 basin level study in at least one of the following issues including its all aspects within the process of preparation and/or updating of River Basin Management Plan in an EU Member State and/or candidate country: development of measures for achieving environmental objectives, setting of environmental objectives, setting environmental quality standards, water quality assessment, biological and chemical monitoring and assessment, impress analysis.