River Basin Management Expert - TA on preparation of river basin management plans for 6 basins
Project title: Technical assistance on preparation of river basin management plans for 6 basins - Turkey
Brief description of the project:
The overall objective of the project is to achieve good water status through implementing the EU WFD (2000/60/EC) and the related daughter directives.
The purpose of the project is strengthening Turkey’s capacity for the preparation of River Basin Management Plans in accordance with the WFD planned to be prepared for all basins by the end of 2023 which is stated as one of the closing benchmarks of the Environment and Climate Change Chapter.
Results to be achieved by the Contractor
- The main results to attain the Project objectives are:
- Progress was made on the fulfilment the closing benchmark of Environment and Climate Change Chapter through preparation of 6 RBMPs.
- Meeting water demand equitably for each sector was ensured by the preparation of 6 SWAPs based on sharing the benefits of water use rather than on sharing the water itself in 6 basins considering the effects of climate change and drought analysis.
- Legislation for strengthening the current institutional structure to apply the requirements of Basin Sectoral Water Allocation Plans was prepared.
- Institutional and public capacity was improved.
- Determination of Environmental and Health Impacts of the Implementation of Environmental Quality Standards in Doğu Akdeniz Basin.
Key expert 1: Team Leader/ River Basin Management Expert
The Team leader will be the key full time expert with a professional and administrative role in the project. The Team leader should have a solid background in projects related to the WFD implementation and river basin management planning.
The Team leader will be the primary contact point for all the communications and be responsible for total management and the overall implementation of the project, including: management of the team of key and non-key experts, elaboration and timely submission of required reports, local co-ordination of all project activities and aspects, organisation and supervision of all project management matters, liaison with the Contracting Authority, End Recipient and other stakeholders.
The expert will be in charge of ensuring the integration and consistency of the all activities to be done for RBMPs, SEA Reports, SWAPs and Case Study on EQS implementation throughout the project. The expert, as a river basin management expert, will notably take part in the preparation of the RBMPs.
Commencement date of the project: 1 February 2021 (tentatively)
Duration of the assignment: 42 months
Qualifications and skills:
- At least Bachelor’s degree in at least one of the followings: Water Science or Water Engineering, Engineering Sciences, Earth Sciences, Ecology, Natural Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences or Environmental Engineering, Economics, Hydrobiology, Hydrology or equivalent.
- Good command of written and spoken English.
General professional experience
- At least 12 years professional experience in the field of environment.
Specific professional experience
- Experience in at least 1 project in an EU member State and/or candidate country as a team leader or equivalent position regarding WFD and/or one of the EU water quality sector Directives;
- At least 5 years experience in the preparation and/or updating of River Basin Management Plan or Integrated Water Resources Management Plan in the scope of WFD.