Regional Director (East Asia and Pacific)
WaterEquity is seeking a Regional Director for East Asia and Pacific who will lead all aspects of investment management in the region, including deal sourcing, screening, negotiations, due diligence, and portfolio management across two water and sanitation investment portfolios:
- Existing portfolio – Investments in financial institutions lending to households, SMEs, and utilities for water and sanitation
- Nascent portfolio – Investments in water and sanitation infrastructure including project finance as well as direct investments into corporates such as engineering and construction companies and equipment and technology providers
The Regional Director, East Asia and Pacific reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer and is part of the investment management team. The ideal candidate will be able to quickly take over relationships with existing clients, generate pipeline, and execute investments. The candidate will develop long-term investment strategies for the countries under management.
WaterEquity is the first-ever impact investment manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging and frontier markets. WaterEquity has made over $68M in investments in thirty companies since 2016. WaterEquity focuses investments on expanding access to water and sanitation in emerging markets, particularly among low-income and underserved populations. WaterEquity is launching additional funds and expects to rapidly scale up assets under management over the next few years. Within the East Asia and Pacific region, WaterEquity currently invests in Cambodia and Indonesia, and aspires to expand to additional markets with significant water and sanitation investment gaps. Under the leadership of the Regional Director, WaterEquity expects to double the East Asia and Pacific portfolio from $25M to $50M in 2021. Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
- Business development and candidate screening
- Structuring and negotiation
- Due diligence
- Financial, ESG, and impact analysis
- Presentation of opportunities to investment committee
- Coordination with other departments on documentation and disbursement
- Support transactions in other geographic regions
- Monitor financial and operational health of investments
- Lead workouts for problem investments
- Monitor country and market risks
- Support other departments with local compliance issues
Strategy & Representation
- Identify opportunities for expansion of markets and products within the region
- Represent WaterEquity externally, including sector events and investor discussions
- Support the investment management team in refining strategies, processes, and tools
Skills and Qualifications
A successful candidate will be a proven, self-driven professional with a passion for impact and an ability to work independently to develop and manage a high-quality investment portfolio. The following qualifications are necessary:
- Master’s degree in relevant field, or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in finance / banking / microfinance / impact investment in emerging markets, with at least 3 years of experience overseeing an investment portfolio
- Experience with due diligence and analysis of investment opportunities in financial institutions
- Experience in infrastructure investment preferred, particularly water and sanitation
- Experience with cross-border transactions
- Existing professional network of contacts in the financial services sector
- Outstanding client relationship development and management skills
- Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives
- Willingness to regularly travel internationally
Location is flexible within East Asia and Pacific region. No relocation benefits will be offered. Candidate must currently reside in the region.
Compensation & Benefits
Details of compensation package will be dictated by contract status, which will be determined based on location. Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time senior-level team member.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Application – Regional Director, East Asia and Pacific” in the subject line.
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer.
WaterEquity recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization, but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Must be able to answer phone, listen and speak with callers and other staff members.
- Requires key-boarding capabilities for computer. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach forward with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required stoop, bend, kneel, or crouch.
- Visual acuity required for computer use. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- May require prolonged periods of sitting and using the computer.
- May occasionally lift or move up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to concentrate/focus with constant interruptions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be in a normal office environment.
- Overnight travel, including international travel, is required.