The St. Mary River Irrigation District (SMIRD) is seeking an entry level GIS Technologist for a Temporary-Full time, 1-year remote contract position. The candidate will be responsible for GIS support and is required to have experience with ESRI software.
Role and Responsibilities: Duties relate to the development of the District’s Infrastructure Asset Inventory. The successful candidate will:
- Create, edit, and maintain GIS vector data
- Pipeline, Canal, and Reservoir database development from existing drawing records (PDF and ACAD)
- Perform QA/QC checks on data, tables, and mapping
- Assist in GPS file conversions and data processing
- Georeferencing of raster images
- Prepare project reports and status tracking tables
Qualifications and Experience: Applicant resumes will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- GIS Technical Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree, with 0-2 years of related professional experience
- Knowledge of ESRI suite of products
- Experience with ArcGIS Pro 2.x is preferred
- Experience with Python scripting and Arcade
- Understanding of geodatabase design
- Proficient skill in cartography as well as coordinate systems and projections
- Knowledge of Alberta Township System
- Experience with engineering plans and record drawings
- Experience with linear features eg. Pipelines, Canals
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively, both verbally and in writing
- A professional, friendly and courteous manner, being service and team oriented
Skills: An ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with AutoCAD is considered an asset
- The ability to not only work with others but also work independently
- A successful candidate will be required to be reliable, accountable, and motivated
- Knowledge of the concept of Infrastructure Asset Management would be viewed favourably.
- An agricultural background is considered an asset
- Geographically based in the Southern Alberta Region for periodic in person meetings.
The SMRID and its governing board of directors are fiercely proud of the service we deliver to the economic, agricultural and environmental activity of the Southern Alberta region.
As Canada's largest Irrigation District, nothing would be possible without the significant collection of infrastructure assets that stretches from Raymond to Medicine Hat, Alberta. Irrigation water is conveyed via ~2000km of canals and pipelines, including 16 reservoirs, 18 dams, and multiple water control structures built for the purpose of irrigating ~400,000 acres of farmland and various commercial operations. The SMRID is also a majority owner in IRRICAN Canal Power Co-op Ltd., which is comprised of 3 hydropower generation facilities, that at the same time, are actively investing in the development of a number of solar power generation facilities; supplying green power to the Alberta electric grid.
The SMRID is implementing a digital asset management program that requires the development of a comprehensive GIS database that tracks the attributes of its infrastructure assets. The goal of the program is to utilize the captured metadata to enhance the maintenance of the SMRIDs infrastructure assets. The purpose of which is to ensure the District owned assets remain well maintained and able to meet our service delivery targets for the District’s various users.
The successful candidate will work as part of the District’s Technical Services Department that is comprised of professional engineers and civil technologists, in the continued development of the GIS database for which our initiative relies. This position will work under the direction of the District’s GIS Specialist
Applications that include a cover letter will be viewed favourably; a resume is required.
Please note that we will only be contacting those whom we wish to interview.
Contract length: 12 months
Application deadline: 2020-11-10
Expected start date: 2020-12-01
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Pay: $23.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- GIS: 1 year (Preferred)