Postdoctoral position in Water and Environmental Engineering
Lund University, Faculty of Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
Subject description Competition for using urban spaces for different purposes increases in modern society as cities grow, are densified, and become more complex. In addition to traditional urban structures and functions, demands for increased resilience of society must be fulfilled and in this context blue-green storm water solutions play a major role, especially considering the climate change. There is a need for documenting the efficiency of blue-green solutions, especially how to implement them on city scale to prevent damage. To introduce blue-green solutions in cities, methodologies describing their impact on society are needed. These methodologies describe the principles of the hydraulic function which in turn decide to what extent blue-green solutions should be introduced in urban environments.
A prerequisite for the development of the needed technologies are investigations that describe the effects from both a technical hydraulic and a human perspective. By combining hydrodynamic models with research in social science, different aspects of livability, effects of introduction of blue-green systems on e.g. accessibility, safety and security in our cities can be examined. Hydrodynamic model development and modelling combined with case studies and surveys are other important tools for understanding the effects of introduction of blue-green systems.
Work duties The main duties involved in a post-doctoral position is to conduct research. Teaching may also be included, but up to no more than 20% of working hours. The position includes the opportunity for training in higher education and learning. We are looking for a person in the early stages of her/his research career.
The work duties also include:
- Supervision of master and doctoral students.
- Applications for external funding.
- Collaboration with industry and wider society.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Qualification requirements Appointment to a post-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the last date for applications. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- A PhD degree in Water and Environmental Engineering with focus on hydraulic storm water modelling and management.
- Documented experiences of blue-green systems for storm water management.
- Documented experiences of hydraulic flow modelling of blue-green storm water systems on neighborhood and city level.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in Swedish.
- Capability to conduct high quality research.
- Pedagogic skills.
- Driving license (Swedish B-level).
Assessment criteria and other qualifications This is a career development position primarily focused on research. The position is intended as an initial step in a career, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers. Particular emphasis will be placed on research skills within the subject.
For appointments to a post-doctoral position, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high quality research.
- Teaching skills.
Additional assessment criteria:
- The work duties will include modelling and model development for blue-green systems and experiences with conceptualization and modelling of storm water systems are meritorious.
- The work will be conducted in close cooperation with municipalities, companies, and other universities. Therefore, good cooperation capacity is demanded as well as high degrees of independence and creativity are highly valued.
- Documented experiences of interdisciplinary cooperation projects and cooperation with international partners are meritorious.
- Good skills in presenting information in a pedagogic way and knowledge of layout programs are also meritorious.
Consideration will be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence. The experiences and competences of the applicant and how they will strengthen and complement on-going research at the department and its future development will also be taken into account. A minor, but important, part of the work will be teaching activities such as course development, supervision of subject relevant master’s projects and lecturing. Documented good teaching skills are hence meritorious.
Terms of employment This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of a maximum of 2 years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a post-doctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S, OFR/S and SEKO, dated 4 September 2008.
Instructions on how to apply Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more:http://www.lth.se/english/working-at-lth/to-apply-for-academic-positions-at-lth/
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
To apply, please click the button "Login and apply"