At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature ‘ to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a full-time Staff Attorney for the Climate Law Institute to defend climate laws, rules and policies from attack during the Trump administration. This position is located in Los Angeles or Oakland, California, with other locations considered on a case-by-case basis.
General position overview:
The Climate Law Institute works to protect our planet from climate change for people and all the species we share it with. We combine innovative legal work with grassroots campaigning to cut greenhouse gas pollution; speed the just transition to 100 percent renewable energy; keep fossil fuels in the ground; and protect our air, water, health and web of life.
The staff attorney will work on litigation, administrative and policy advocacy, research, and grassroots and media outreach designed to protect our climate from congressional, judicial and administrative rollbacks. The staff attorney will join a dynamic and supportive team of legal, science, organizing and communications staff.
- Litigate in federal court to defend existing climate rules and policies from industry attack in the courts and to challenge rollbacks of climate rules and policies by the Trump administration executive agencies.
- Defend and promote climate action through policy research and advocacy.
- Engage and mobilize with a broad coalition of allied groups in defense of climate law and policy.
- Prepare communications including press releases, op-eds, factsheets and white papers.
- Speak publicly at rallies, conferences and other events, as well as with the media, about the need for rapid and ambitious climate action.
- Some travel required.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Minimum three years civil litigation experience.
- Experience with environmental statutes such as the Clean Air Act and National Environmental Policy Act.
- A high degree of scientific literacy.
- Excellent research, writing and oral advocacy skills.
- An ability to manage a litigation docket and to work well independently and with others as part of an effective team.
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
- Experience with media outreach, interviews and other public speaking preferred.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Generous time off policies.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Please apply online by submitting a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and reference list. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.