Austin Water SCADA Analyst
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Electrical Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or Mathematics plus two(2) years in a field related to SCADA or process control.
- Experience may substitute education up to four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Valid driver’s license.
Notes to Applicants
This position will serve as a SCADA/IT Network Administrator and will be responsible for managing and supporting a diverse network infrastructure which supports the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems that operate Austin Water’s water and wastewater facilities. The ideal candidate will ensure a high degree of network reliability and continually implement innovative technical solutions to help Austin Water provide safe and reliable water to our community.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
When completing a City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
This position requires a Valid Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
- Experience installing and supporting network administration applications on Ethernet networks (including: Solarwinds and Trend Micro Enterprise level Antivirus)
- Experience configuring and/or supporting local and wide area networks (including: fiber and copper, Cellular Networks, wireless Ethernet point to point, and point to multipoint networks)
- Experience configuring and supporting IP network equipment (including: layer 2 and layer 3 Switches, Routers, Firewalls) and familiarity with routing protocols (including EIGRP, BGP and RIP)
- Experience with Virtualization Technologies including VMWare in both a stand alone and high availability environments
- Ability to manage and configure Windows Domain Controllers, Active Directory and Group Policies on Windows computer platforms
- Familiarity with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Remote Terminal Units (RTU), and Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) applications for process control systems
- Experience with Enterprise level Backup Software and Technologies including Tape Loaders, Tape Libraries, and NAS device administration (Acronis is a plus)
- Familiarity with the American Water Works Association (AWWA) Process Control System Security Guidance for the Water Sector Recommendations
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Supports 24/7 real-time control system integrity and ensure the highest operational reliability and system availability. This requires after hours on-call support to meet the response requirements for restoring the mission critical system.
- Assists with the daily operation and maintenance of the SCADA System, leads the daily maintenance of the facility Electronic Security system to accomplish the best system performance; communicates with dispatchers, engineers and field crews; performs trouble shooting, problem analysis and resolution as required.
- Conducts field inspections of electronic security systems.
- Coordinates and analyzes the real-time control system user’s request; develops and implements enhancements or modifications requested in a timely manner. Communicates activity status to customers and management.
- Enforces security policies and procedures by administering and monitoring data security profiles.
- Installs, configures and tests electronic security systems including; card access, intrusion detection and close circuit television (CCTV) devices and systems.
- Researches and performs sample analysis.
- Develops, analyzes, and generates engineering reports.
- Supports efforts to keep up with the latest developments in the water utility industry, to meet Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), American Water Works Association (AWWA), Water Environment Federation (WEF) and Instrumentation Systems and Automation (ISA) standards and regulatory requirements.
- Writes technical and business documentation (including audit and training manuals).
- Updates, maintains, and documents security controls.
- Maintains stock and parts inventories and documentation for all systems.
- Configures and programs process control applications (Human Machine Interfaces), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Ability to understand database design and application development.
- Ability to work with Unix and Windows based systems.
- Ability to perform systems testing of specification requirements.
- Ability to understand and use standard application development design, report and project management tools.
- Ability to effectively participate in multiple projects or project capacities.
- Ability to perform objective analyses and re-engineering of business processes to maximize quality service and cost-effectiveness.