Associate Programme Officer (SMART-Water Project)
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute, through research, capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge, to the resolution of pressing challenges in the area of sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources (water, soil and waste), particularly in developing and transitional countries. It aims to serve within the UN as the think-tank on resources management and be internationally recognised as a major hub and intellectual focal point promoting integrated management strategies addressing, in particular, the needs of developing and emerging countries. The Institute is located in Dresden, Federal Republic of Germany. For more information, please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
Under the overall authority and supervision of the Director of UNU-FLORES, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- establish, develop, and lead a research group in the SMART-Water Domain project
- coordinate activities related to budget funding and fundraising (project development and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and preparation of related documents and reports
- conduct research activities in the field of integrated resources management carried out by the institute in collaboration with junior and senior researchers
- publish research outcomes in peer-reviewed journal articles, books, and policy briefs; actively represent the institute at conferences where appropriate; and act as editor of special issues
- conduct policy analysis and advise on capacity development and governance issues relevant to the integrated resources management
- contribute to the capacity development work conducted by the Institute, such as organising workshops, meetings, symposiums, and field activities
- supervision of graduate students and interns, as well as co-supervision of PhD students
- support collaboration and partnership with TU Dresden, including PRISMA, the Centre for Sustainability Assessment and Policy at TU Dresden
- work in conjunction with the Partnerships and Liaison Officer to establish contacts with other UN entities, UNU institutes, governments, NGOs, academia, think tanks, and the private sector
- contribute to the UN- and UNU-wide network and reports that are relevant to the resource nexus
- contribute to the institute’s teaching activities, especially e-learning
- perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor and the director
In addition to the core tasks an Associate Programme Officer will be expected to undertake one or more of the following activities:
- act as the scientific focal point for the Joint PhD Programme and the Joint Junior Researcher Programme in collaboration with TU Dresden
- plan, manage, and further develop the “Nexus Seminar Series”
- develop and curate technical guidance and training materials, including e-courses, infographics, e-books, and videos
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- a PhD related to the integrated management of environmental resources
- a minimum of five (5) years of progressive, relevant work experience, including managing research projects in academia, research, or related institutions
- track record of research publications in areas related to the integrated resources management
- experience obtaining research funding from a variety of national and/or international agencies
- established skills in both project and team management
- highly self-motivated, innovative, and organised, yet detail-oriented, with a professional and conscientious attitude and the ability to independently prioritise work
- excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- proficiency in English in both oral and written communications is required; proficiency in German would be highly beneficial
- willing to travel as required both locally and internationally
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment and an internationally recruited post. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal in accordance with the UN Staff Rules and Regulations and the UNU Personnel Policy. The combined duration of fixed-term appointments shall not exceed six (6) years.
We offer a competitive (tax-exempted) net salary at the P-2 level commensurate to the level of experience and allowances, including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post carries the standard set of UN entitlements/benefits, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant for eligible children, removal expenses and home leave. For more information, please visit: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/index.html
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a suitable candidate at a lower category.
This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 2.5 working days per month (a total of 30 days of paid annual leave), and private health insurance coverage.
As soon as possible.