Nigeria nationals: WASH Assistant (2)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislation. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organization towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy program through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy program has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and planning to run an office in Yobe, besides 50 staff members subject to increase in near future.
The WASH Assistant’s primary function is to assist the WASH Officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of WASH activities being implemented by DRC. Specifically, the WASH Assistant is expected to conduct the following:
- Carry out of WASH needs assessment for host communities, returning refugees and IDPs and using results in designing intervention measures.
- Monitor construction works progress, budgets, costs and schedule in accordance with project plan and taking of appropriate actions.
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Minimum of higher diploma in Civil or Water Engineering or Public Health. Other qualifications related to water and sanitation with at least 1 year progressive experience in WASH programming will be given consideration
- At least 1 year programming experience with I/NGOs
- Very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, program and stakeholders in Nigeria
- Thorough knowledge of SPHERE Shelter and WASH in emergencies standards.
- Experience working in volatile areas
- Experience in community based interventions
- Experience in Microsoft Office and internet
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, GPS, Arc GIS and Google Earth
- Knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
Availability: 1 December 2020
Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
How to apply
The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and Tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Deadline date. 06/11/2020 Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.