Senior Programme Manager in LAC, Water and Sanitation
The Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) is looking for an experienced Senior Programme Manager to lead SIWI´s office in Bogotá (Colombia), while contributing to SIWI´s water governance programs in Latin America and Caribbean region.
SIWI is a policy institute that generates knowledge and informs decision-making towards a water wise world. SIWI conducts research, builds institutional capacity, and provides advisory services to water decision-makers and practitioners in emerging and developing economies. Our expertise relates to multi-level governance of shared water resources and sustainable delivery of water and services. We work on the linkages of water with sectors such as climate, food and energy and at multiple scales in countries, cities, rural communities and along river basins.
SIWI organises the World Water Week in Stockholm - the leading annual global meeting place on water and development issues – and hosts the Stockholm Water Prize and the Stockholm Junior Water Prize.
About the Department and related programs:
The Water and Sanitation Department implements a number of major programs in the areas of water and sanitation service delivery, and also conducts several activities in coordination with the water resources department, with the aim to contribute to achieve sustainable and resilient water and sanitation services. Accountability for Sustainability is a partnership with UNICEF and UNDP aimed to improve governance as a means to increase sustainability of water supply and sanitation services. The partnership has a dedicated program for Latin America, which currently covers fourteen countries in the region (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Suriname, Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Haiti and Venezuela). The Water Integrity initiative works with a number of countries to build multi-stakeholder capacities on anti-corruption measures in the water sector. The City Water Resilience Approach is working to better understand and plan for water resilience at city level. GO-WATER (Building Governance Capacity for Improved Water Security) is a capacity development programme that aims to make policy impact at systemic level through more effective water sector institutions. Bolivia, Colombia, and Peru are the three focus countries in Latin America. The Department is also implementing a number of research and capacity building oriented initiatives.
The Water and Sanitation Department works in close collaboration with other departments at SIWI, particularly with the Water Resources Department, which focuses in the areas of water resources governance, climate and source-to-sea management.
Description of the position:
The assignment is a full-time position. The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for leading SIWI´s office in Bogotá, including overview of budget, fundraising, and staff management, as appropriate. The Senior Manager will also be contribute to the implementation and development of water governance related projects in relation to resilient water supply and sanitation, and water resources (when relevant). This includes managerial functions, as well as capacity building, technical support and advice on governance related to water supply and sanitation issues; responsible for project development and development of methodologies, tools and knowledge products.
The main duties of the Senior Program Manager will include the following:
- Coordinate the activities of SIWI staff in the Latin America office, facilitating the necessary linkages between SIWI office in LAC and SIWI Headquarters, while fulfilling the reporting requirements in Colombia.
- Develop funding opportunities for SIWI in the region, including identification, follow-up and development of project proposals and strategic partnerships on water governance.
- Represent SIWI in national, regional and international fora, as appropriate.
- Contribute to the implementation of the GO-WATER programme for the Latin American cluster of countries (Bolivia, Colombia, Peru), in coordination with the GO-WATER team in Stockholm
- Contribute to the implementation of other programs in the water and sanitation department, with a focus on the Latin America and Caribbean Region, such as the Accountability for Sustainability program, Integrity, Resilience and others.
Within the assignment, the Senior Program manager will:
- Ensure adequate management of SIWI office in LAC, financial and administrative oversight with the support of external service providers (e.g. legal and finance advisors) as appropriate
- Contribute to the implementation of SIWI strategy at large, and the thematic development of SIWI’s portfolio in the areas of resilient water supply and sanitation, and water resources
- Identify and develop relationships with national and regional partners
- Identification, and development of project proposals and strategic partnerships
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of knowledge products, training materials, methodologies, tools and research
- Organize and facilitate workshops / trainings as needed.
- Provide technical support and advisory services to support water governance processes to countries and to SIWI partners as per demand
- Represent SIWI in national, regional and international fora, as appropriate.
- Contribute to internal knowledge management and collaboration with other SIWI departments.
The Senior Manager will work within the Water and Sanitation Department and collaborate with other departments at SIWI, as required in the different assignments. The Senior Manager will be supervised by the Water and Sanitation Department Director.
Required skills and competencies:
- Experience of working with water governance in relation to water supply and sanitation at local, national and international level, particularly in the LAC Region. Experience in other regions will be an asset.
- Experience of working with particular policy and governance aspects, such as IWRM, decentralization, multi-stakeholder participation, inter-sectoral coordination, accountability, water integrity and/or human rights based approaches
- Experience with human resources management, managing external and internal relations; and coordination of donors, and programme partners.
- Experience in financial management and reporting of projects, as well as with auditing.
- Experience of program/project development and implementation, particularly in the LAC Region.
- Experience of working with capacity development, stakeholder facilitation, institutional strengthening and policy development.
- Familiarity with the global and regional water related institutions
- Experience in applied research will be an asset.
- Good drafting, communication and interpersonal skills are basic requirements
- Ability to function effectively as part of a team
- Commitment to, and agreement with SIWI´s core values and vision.
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in relevant Social or Natural / Engineering Sciences. PhD in relevant topic will be an asset.
- More than 12 years of experience working with policy development and implementation of water services and or water resources in emerging and developing economies contexts, including direct experience (at least 3 years) of working in the Latin American Region.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required
- Proficiency in English is required
- Good level of Portuguese will be a strong asset.
- Good level of French will be desirable.
- Swedish will be an asset.
Availability to travel
- Ability and willingness to travel and be part of short-term missions, particularly within LAC, is required (up to 40% of time).
- The full-time position will be based at the Stockholm International Water Institute office in Bogotá, Colombia.
Duration of contract
- The position is a 12 months contract, subject to renewal upon good performance and availability of funds.
- February-March 2021
How to apply for the position
- Please submit your CV and a cover letter by using the apply button below.
- APPLICATIONS SHALL BE SENT IN ENGLISH by 22nd November 2020.
For more information about the position, contact:
Alejandro Jiménez, Director, Water and Sanitation Department,
Anna-Karin Holmer, Senior Manager HR Department,