ClimateSense Internship (Climate Research Lab)
The ClimateSense Professional Internship Program is designed to build climate change adaptation capacity in recent post-secondary graduates as well as host organizations within the public and private sectors. Interns will complete an internship placement with a provincial government department, non-governmental organization, business, industry association, or other external organization. Interns will work with mentors within the host organization to complete a sector-specific adaptation project, and will also take part in the ClimateSense Training and Professional Development Program.
This internship involves placement with the Climate Research Lab at the University of Prince Edward Island.
Location: Charlottetown – Prince Edward Island
- Support the development of a GIS and web-based visualization tool to support the exploration of spatiotemporal patterns of rainfall across PEI
- Incorporate historical and future climate data from various sources (e.g., weather stations, radar images, reanalysis datasets, CMIP6 climate projections) in the visualization tool
- Produce a final report and best practice document for agricultural practitioners and local farmers
- Participate in the ClimateSense Training and Professional Development Program, as well as other training opportunities provided by the mentoring organization
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation activities throughout the duration of the internship
Successful applicants should possess the following qualifications:
- Graduate of a post-secondary institution within the last 5 years
- Education in environmental science
- Bachelor degree in computer science, environmental engineering/science, geography, or other related disciplines
- Experience with web programming and/or online mapping, such as GIS
- Experience with using and/or analyzing weather and climate data
- Knowledge of climate change and adaptation techniques will be considered an asset
- Prior tertiary level course work or climate related training will be considered an asset
- Strong organizational and written skills
- Experience with personal computers and a proficiency in the use of word processing & spreadsheets
- The successful candidate must be able to work independently and take initiative where appropriate
- Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and to write quickly, effectively, and concisely
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills and the ability to effectively lead or participate on teams in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Must be adaptable and flexible within a variety of situations
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.