Junior Hydrotechnical Engineer In Training
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake—whether at the local, regional, or watershed level— thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities’ unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We’re a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that’s critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Our Water sector brings together many of the world’s top engineer’s scientists and planners who see water a bit differently. Our teams view each project they undertake as an integral component of a wholistic system. We use this approach to provide our clients with comprehensive solutions that address the challenges, and sometimes differing priorities, that come with this valuable resource. Whether a project’s objective is to: control and use water; improve its quality and habitat potential; or, protect our communities from its natural variability; our teams take a multi-disciplinary approach that integrates and optimizes every facet of design for the natural system. We’re helping communities increase their resiliency during flood conditions and protecting the water resources of our environment for future generations to enjoy.
Stantec’s Calgary office is seeking a Junior Engineer to join our growing Water Resources group.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supporting hydrotechnical and civil engineering assessment and design for:
- River infrastructure including: water intakes; outfalls; dams and weirs; fishways; flood protection, erosion control; river training; and protective works.
- Watercourse crossings such as bridges, pipelines, roads, and other linear infrastructure.
- Municipal works: such as water and wastewater collection and distribution networks
- Fish habitat and watercourse restoration using bioengineering techniques.
- Flood inundation and flood hazard mapping.
- Assisting in managing projects, administering contracts, and controlling budgets.
- Assisting in proposal writing and business development initiatives.
- Supporting contract document preparation, including detailed design drawings and specifications.
- Participating in construction contract administration and site inspection services.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Some training and experience using HEC-RAS and other hydraulic modelling software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Desire to learn and grow in your career in a challenging environment that fosters self-improvement though mentorship and a diversity of experience.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Civil or Water Resources Engineering
- Minimum of 2-3 years consulting experience, primarily related to river engineering, water resources and municipal infrastructure is preferred.
- Registered as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT); and will be eligible to qualify for license with APEGA as a P.Eng. in the future.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer - EIT
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001RN