GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people deliver projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
We offer a professional and friendly culture based on our core values of Safety, Teamwork, Respect and Integrity. We also provide attractive career and professional development through the GHD Business School.
We are seeking an Intermediate Groundwater Modeller to join our Environmental - Contaminated Site and Remediation team in Waterloo, ON as part of GHD’s North America Groundwater Modelling Team performing quantitative hydrogeologic evaluations related to resource development, groundwater sustainability, and contaminated site assessment and remediation at project sites located throughout North America and Globally. Typical hydrogeologic evaluations involve applying numerical and analytical groundwater flow and contaminant transport models to evaluate groundwater migration, groundwater resources, groundwater/surface water interaction, natural attenuation, landfill design/assessment, mine site development/operations/water balance/closure/tailings management, and conduct remedial design/feasibility studies.
- Developing and applying groundwater flow and fate/transport models to solve environmental and water resources challenges for projects located throughout North America and Globally
- Problem Solving involving literature review and research to explain unique/non-standard environmental challenges
- Field Data Compilation and Analysis
- Hydrogeologic Characterization, Interpretation and Evaluation
- Evaluation of geochemical conditions with respect to contaminant fate in the subsurface
- Model Development including model construction, calibration and model performance analysis
- Model Application using the calibrated model for predictive model simulations
- Model Documentation
- Project task coordination
- May also involve some field work on a limited basis
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- B.Sc./M.Sc. in engineering in Civil, Environmental Systems, or Water Resources or B.Sc./M.Sc. in Geology or Earth Sciences
- 8+ years experience developing and applying groundwater flow and fate/transport models in a consulting environment
- Well developed analytical skills are a requirement of this position
- Previous exposure to hydrogeology/geology and groundwater modeling is a must
- Previous experience with MODFLOW (and its family of codes such as MODPATH and MT3DMS), and FEFLOW is required
- Previous experince visualizing hydrogeologic data (using software including Surfer, Grapher, ArcGIS, CAD) is required
- Working knowledge in programming (either Python, R, C++, FORTRAN, Visual Basic) is required
- Attention to detail on the highest level
- Research skills
- Creative problem solving skills and critical analysis
- Organizational skills with the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time, and to deliver on time and on budget
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and good interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and hard-working
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is essential to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.