Desired start date: Early January 2021
Duration of the mission: 1 year
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Nigeria has been going through an acute political and military crisis for years, which has affected millions of lives. Solidarités International (SI) has been answering the needs of displaced populations, as well as host communities in the Borno State for almost 4 years. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. 7 programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul
- Logistic Platform project in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response on all 4 Borno bases
- Emergency WASH in Health in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala
To learn more about what we do in Nigeria, please click here.
More than 220 people (approx. 200 Nigerian staff and 20 international staff) are working on the Nigeria mission today. They are operating from 5 different locations:
- Liaison office: Abuja.
- Coordination office: Maiduguri.
- Operational bases: Maiduguri, Monguno, NGala and Dikwa.
The mission has a forecasted budget of more than EUR 11M. Europaid, ECHO, OFDA, CDC and the UN (NHF, WFP) currently fund it. SI is confident in the mission’s potential to grow in the upcoming years.
About the job
Why we need you
Water supply and sanitation are the 2 major emergency WASH expertise needed for this job. More specifically, you will help more than 250 000 beneficiaries by:
- Providing health and nutrition centres with water treatment and purification and sanitation infrastructures
- Construction and rehabilitation of deep and shallow boreholes and other water points
- Construction and rehabilitation of latrines and showers
- Hygiene promotion and hygiene kits distribution activities
- Emergency water trucking
As the head of the WASH department, you will:
- Be the lead on the WASH strategy for the mission
- Guarantee the relevancy and the quality of the WASH projects
- Proactively attend meeting with external bodies
- Manage your team: provide supervision, guidance, capacity building.
The job involves remote management, as well as regular visits to the field bases when relevant and if allowed.
What you will do
To successfully complete your mission, you will:
- Design strategic orientations
Work on the sector-based strategy, support the DCD-P, and be responsible for the monitoring and analysis of the WASH sector.
- Staff management
1 direct line report + functional manager for several WASH PM
- Ensure the relevance and quality of the WASH projects
Evaluation missions, validation of technical approaches, respect of SI’s procedures, financial validations.
- Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
KPIs definition and monitoring, tools monitoring, updates and improvement, technical and methodological support, activities adaptation.
Liaise with the technical advisors in HQ: tools, methods, network.
- Carry representation, reporting & communication activities
Relationships with authorities, communication with the coordination.
- You’ll be part of the program team, which is led by a Deputy Country Director for Programs, and is made of a Cholera task force team, an FSL team, a WASH team, a MEAL team, a Grants team.
- You’ll also work on a regular basis with the support services team, which includes finance, HR and a logistics.
- You’ll be under the direct management of the DCD-P.
Main skills needed:
- Proven experience as Head of WASH department mandatory:
- Degree in a WASH-related sector, Engineering, Environment and/or Geology.
- Strong knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing
- Strong technical knowledge on water supply (hydrogeology, boreholes drilling and O&M, wells construction, stream catchment and gravity flow network design and management) and sanitation.
- Experience dealing with high volumes: financial, HR, workload.
- Experience in emergency contexts / instable security contexts
- Outstanding people / intercultural skills
- High level of fluency in English needed
SI will offer you
A salaried post:
Salary : According to experience, starting from EUR 2640 gross per month (EUR 2400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of residence and the mission.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The WASH Co lives in SI’s compound – guest house (GH) with the other international staff. He/she has private room and shares the bathroom and the kitchen. The GH is next to the office and located in a residential area.
Maiduguri provide proper living conditions. Electricity is available at the office and at the GH (except a small period during the night), communication and internet are available, either on the SI provided network or the 4G network. All essential goods (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket. There is a dense social life in Maiduguri, and visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some pre-validated places.
The constraints related to security do exist (movement restrictions, curfew at 9:30PM.), but they are bearable, as they allow personal activities. However, please note that the security constraints are more important when it comes to field deployments outside Maiduguri: stricter rules have to apply.
Please send us your CV AND Cover letter in English.
Please bear in mind that we receive a high volume of applications, which means it can take us a few weeks to get in touch with you.
If you are shortlisted, please not that SI’s recruitment process usually includes: an HR interview, reference checks, written test, technical interview.
Eventually, please note that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
If you haven’t made up your mind yet, check our website.