U.S. nationals: Waterways Management Specialist
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard, District Thirteenth, Sector Puget Sound, Waterways Management Division in Seattle, WA.
Learn more about this agency
You will assess, manage and coordinate waterways safety issues and initiatives for the Captain of the Port (COTP) Puget Sound Zone in support of the Marine Transportation System (MTS). Support with Tribal Liaison, aids to navigation (ATON), budget development, regulations, shore facilities operations, hazardous waste storage, handling and disposal are identified, assessed, properly documented and acted on.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignment includes:
- Developing budgets and administering funds for the operation and maintenance of all programs and assets in connection with Waterways Management.
- Overseeing the compliance of the marine event permit program with requirements for environmental assessments under the National Environmental Policy Act.
- Serving as the primary Sector representative for promoting the national waterways management program and MTS initiatives throughout the COTP zone and resolving MTS issues, particularly with regards to the safe navigation of vessels.
- Liaising as Sector Puget Sound Waterways Management’s Tribal Liaison for the 40+ federally recognized Native American tribes. Assisting with coordination of required government-to-government consultation meetings, as needed in accordance applicable policies.
- Directing and participating in the development of rulemaking documents by providing technical expertise in the areas of project management, administrative procedures and regulatory process requirements to support the MTS infrastructure (anchorages, traffic separation schemes, RNAs, LAAs and rules of the road).