Junior Consultant (UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration)
The Forestry Division leads FAO's work in promoting sustainable forest management and providing leadership on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of forestry, including contributions of forests and trees to poverty reduction and food security and nutrition. Staff of the Division liaise with member countries, civil society and the private sector in aspects ranging from development of effective forest policies to forest conservation and management issues and strengthening the role of forests in climate change mitigation and adaptation. The Division also collects, analyses and disseminates information on the world's forest resources and on the production, trade and consumption of wood and non-wood forest products.
The post is located in the Climate Change and Resilience (CCR) team. In particular, this post will support the “Forest and Landscape Restoration Mechanism” programme within the CCR team.
The Consultant will work under the overall supervision of the CCR Team Leader and direct supervision of the FLRM forestry Officer, in close collaboration with relevant FLRM technical officers and other FAO staff.
The consultancy aims to provide support to the Forest and Landscape Restoration Mechanism’s work in preparation of the knowledge and learning activities of the 2021-2030 UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration. A FAO-led Task Force on Best Practices (TF) has been established in 2020 to set the ground for future knowledge efforts. This diverse group of stakeholders includes a wide range of leading organizations in the field of ecosystem restoration and capacity development, and the consultant will support its facilitation and the delivery of related outputs. The consultant will be involved in cross-sectoral work that includes forestry, agriculture, and fisheries and aquaculture, contributing to FAO’s strategic objective of making agriculture, forestry and fisheries more productive and sustainable.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the overall facilitation of the Task Force on Best Practices, supporting the organization of regular meetings and online consultations with TF members and key partners to the UN Decade (including preparation of the corresponding background documents), and facilitating the associated D-group.
- Support the implementation of the UN Decade Task Force on Best practices capacity needs assessment: identify and interview key informants, identify and use channels for dissemination of an online survey version of the assessment questionnaire, gather and analyse results, and support drafting the conclusions into a report.
- Support the drafting of the capacity enhancement strategy that will be developed by the Task Force by undertaking research, developing written outputs and consulting key resource partners and Task Force members.
- Support the drafting of the Terms of Reference for the priority flagship knowledge products identified that could be elaborated in the context of the UN Decade and contribute to the development of these knowledge products in the context of the FLRM.
- Map and categorize existing knowledge resources that have documented good practices for ecosystem restoration and identify tools / instruments to facilitate knowledge dissemination and the exchange of good practices across peers.
- Facilitate the preparation and adoption of a good practices template, and support the process to identify, document, endorse and disseminate these good practices in the context of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- Contribute to the organization and technical preparation of meetings and seminars to present ongoing efforts under the Task Force on Best Practices.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in environment, natural resources management or related topic
- One year of relevant experience in the field of agriculture, environment or natural resources management
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in sustainable natural resources management, conservation or restoration
- Extent and relevance of experience in facilitating multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Familiarity with FAO policies and procedures would be an asset
- Knowledge of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration would be an asset