GEO Regional Expert
Result of Service
The consultant will be responsible for carrying out the following activities:
Design and development of training material for GEOs production (expected duration 3 months)
1. Coordinate with UNEP to receive technical guidance for the development of the GEO training modules. Participate in meetings with UNEP ROLAC and headquarters and/or other organizations as requested for the identification of the contents and structure of the modules and the methodology to be included in the training material;
Provision of technical assistance to countries/organizations for the production of GEOs
2. Upon request of his/her supervisor and in close coordination with the country or organization (hereinafter the client) requesting technical assistance for the production of a GEO, and by means of training material developed at point 1 above, support the client in the designing of the process for the production of the GEO, including timeframe and expected milestones and deliverables;
3. Support the client for the production of a thorough assessment about the existent capacity in the area of application of the GEO to collect, validate, process and report data and information against reporting requirements of GEO and keys SDGs environmental indicators.
4. Based on inputs gathered through point 3 above, liaise with the client to support the development of a draft structure and outline of the GEO.
5. Follow up on the process of production of the GEO and support the client to ensure coordination amongst all authors and contributors during the development of the sections to ensure consistency of methodology and SDGs throughout the process, including support the client in the organization and coordination of meetings and workshops to collect information and data and to present the report.
6. Provide support to the client to ensure the scientific credibility of the process adopted to produce the GEO and work with relevant stakeholders to make sure that policy recommendations are part of the final document.
7. If requested by the client, provide support for the development of an impact strategy for the GEO, by identifying key actors to be involved in its dissemination, along with targeted audience, key events where main messages from GEO should be presented and disseminated. Promote the implementation of policy recommendations by institutions, organizations and civil society.
Panama City, Panama
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The UNEP Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (ROLAC), located in Panama City, works closely with the 33 countries of the region, sister UN agencies and scientific organizations to keep the environment of Latin America and the Caribbean under review.
Since 1995, UNEP has been conducting an ambitious integrated environmental assessment project known as GEO (Global Environment Outlook). GEO reports have an established methodology to detect trends in the state of the environment and to monitor progress towards the achievement of environmental policy targets. The GEO methodology employs a matrix of the Driver Pressure-State-Impact-Response (DPSIR) indicators to answer these questions as an analytical instrument that permits factors that act on the environment to be organized and grouped in a logical manner. It shows how urbanization affects the environment because of factors that put pressure on local natural resources and ecosystems, as well as action taken by local society and government to confront the problems caused by human activities.
In parallel with the production of GEOs at global, regional, national and city level, UNEP has been promoting the use and implementation of indicator frameworks to strengthen the national and regional environmental information systems and networks, enhance the capacity of countries to keep the environment under review, and promote a more effective and widespread use of environmental data and information in policy and decision making.
In parallel with the production of the GEOs, a Latin American and Caribbean Initiative for Sustainable Development (ILAC) indicators framework was approved in 2003 by the Forum of Environment Ministers of Latin America and the Caribbean to monitor progress towards meeting the ILAC goals, foster the collection and standardization of data at the national level, and assist in developing common methodologies to measure variables. In more recent times (2015) UNEP has taken the role of custodian agency for 26 core environment indicators for Goals 6, 8, 12, 14, 15, and 17 in the global framework for the 2030 Agenda. In this capacity UNEP provides the methodologies used to harmonize country data for international comparability and produce estimates through transparent mechanisms and supports the strengthening of data collection and statistical capacity-building.
UNEP seeks a talented and motivated consultant to support the GEO process at the national and regional level in the Latin America and the Caribbean region. The consultant will be supervised by the Regional Coordinator of the Sub-programme “Environment Under Review” for Latin America and the Caribbean.
The incumbent will work at the UNEP Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean in Panama City, Panama, for a total of 40 hours per week, from Monday to Friday normally between the hours of 9:00am and 6:00pm.
The consultant will support UNEP Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean to follow up and deliver on requests from countries or regional organizations for technical assistance and training for the designing, preparation and outreach of State of the Environment Reports or Thematic Reports (hereinafter defined as GEOs) at sub-regional, national and local level. His/her work will be supervised by the Regional Coordinator of the Sub-programme Environment Under Review of UNEP Latin America and the Caribbean Office.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Regional Coordinator and the Programme Officer of the Sub-programme Environment Under Review of the UNEP Latin America and the Caribbean Office, the consultant will be in charge for providing technical assistance to countries or regional organizations in LAC for the preparation of sub-regional, national, local (cities) or thematic GEOs.
The provision of technical assistance will be based on training material (organized in modules), whose design, contents and development are also part of this consultancy. The methodology used to develop the training material shall be based on the DPSIR (Drivers, Pressures, State, Impacts and Responses) causal framework, as well as relevant technical literature, and organized upon and presented through the metrics of selected global or regional indicators (SDGs, ILAC and other relevant frameworks).
Skills: Proven knowledge of the GEO Methodology and DPSIR framework is a clear asset.
Academic Qualifications: Master’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Statistics, Mathematics, Physical Geography or related fields.
In lieu of Master’s degree, First-level university degree (Bachelor´s degree) in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience.
Experience: A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in Environmental Science, Environmental Analysis for Sustainable Development, Environmental Data and Statistics.
Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to Integrated Environmental Assessments and GEOs;
Knowledge of Indicators frameworks to monitor the implementation of the Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals, Multilateral Environmental Agreements and other relevant international treaties and conventions, is desirable.
Language: Fluency in English and Spanish is required for this consultancy, basic knowledge of French or Portuguese is an advantage.