International Consultant (Marine Environmental Issues)
Result of Service
Development of the Manual and Guidelines for Dredging and Reclamation for the Gulf Cooperation Council.
From: 01 November 2020 To: 01 May 2021
Duties and Responsibilities
1- Organizational Setting, Purpose and Objective:
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Regional Office for West Asia delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives.
Land availability in the GCC area is scarce hence creation of comprehensive land use plans that balance conservation and growth objectives is necessary. The ROPME Sea Area has seen unprecedented development in coastal areas which has significantly altered the coastline in many countries to accommodate the increase in population and provide land for tourism and economic projects. This is carried out region-wide through the dredging and reclamation practice. This practice has led to loss and severe degradation of important natural habitats, including mangroves, seagrass beds, and coral reefs. Coastal “mega-projects’ including artificial islands, waterfront cities, ports, marina’s and man-made waterways have sometimes been poorly conceived from an environmental perspective, leading to severe pressure on natural environments. Most of the countries in the Gulf region have not implemented policies and actions that engender better coastal management. Although many of these countries have enacted national legislation for marine conservation and have signed various regional and international environmental agreements the standards are not up to date and do not take into account the latest environmental data and modelling. At this rate, development will not be sustainable unless accompanied by appropriate policies and mechanisms for minimizing and mitigating the environmental impacts.
This consultancy falls under the Project “Harmonized Implementation of the Environmental Dimensions of Sustainable Development Goals in the West Asia Region”. The project covers the 6 countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council. The GCC Member States are committed to reviewing the existing standards by which the region abides and further update and improve them by incorporating the latest environmental dimensions/data into the regional plans and outlooks for which they are responsible.
Under the Supervision of the UN Environment West Asia Office and in full collaboration and consultation with the 6 GCC Member States, the main objective of the consultancy is to deliver on the outputs of the project to develop a general manual on the standards and mechanisms for dredging, reclamation and mitigation actions as well as an environmental code of practice for dredging and reclamation.
The objective of the consultancy is to recruit a consultant to cover the remaining outputs and activities of the GCC project:
• Develop Environmental Codes of Practice and Standards Manual: This manual will include the proposed regional standards and environmental code of practice for dredging and reclamation works in the GCC region. (December 2020 – March 2021)
• Consultation workshop for review by all identified stakeholders: This workshop shall be dedicated towards reviewing the draft documents and will be attended by all identified dredging and reclamation stakeholders. Recommendations from this workshop will then be used to revise the manual. (November 2020)
• Consultation and review by GCC stakeholders: In addition to the above consultation / review workshop, copies of the draft manuals shall be provided to the GCC national focal points for their review to identify recommendations. (December 2020 – March 2021)
• Preparation of Final Environmental Codes of Practice and Standards Manual: Based on the recommendations provided by the stakeholders and GCC national focal points who have reviewed the draft manual, the manual will be edited into final format and translated. This document shall serve as the GCC region's manual on Dredging and Reclamation which will outline the regional guidelines and quality standards. (November 2020 – April 2021)
• Development of policy recommendations that will be raised to the GCC on marine management in relation to Dredging and Reclamation.
The Consultant will report to the Programme Management Officer, Healthy and Productive Ecosystems Subprogramme at UNEP West Asia Office.
2- Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer, Healthy and Productive Ecosystems Subprogramme in UNEP West Asia Office, the consultant will carry-out the following duties and responsibilities as a continuation of the activities and deliverables of the GCC project – Component 1:
• Development of the final standards and guidelines manual on dredging and reclamation for the GCC Member States (in English with a review of the Arabic guidelines)
• Organization of meetings:
a. Focal Points meeting for feedback on the desktop studies that have been completed in the first phase of the project and review the draft guidelines and manual (this includes drafting the invitation, developing the agenda, development of workshop report)
b. Two Day International Best Practices Conference and Workshop. This includes identification of experts, developing the agenda, development of workshop report.
• Review the translation of the two desk studies: 1- Dredging & Reclamation: Examples of International Best Practices and 2- Major Ecosystems in the Arabian Gulf & the Overall Impacts of Dredging & Reclamation on Marine Ecosystems
• Ensure all outputs such as hydrodynamic modelling and GIS are complementary to the development of the manual. Follow up with the consultants to ensure coherence amongst the results.
• Develop a brief on policy recommendations
• Development and support communication and social media material
3- Outputs / Work assignment:
* Environmental Codes of Practice and Standards Manual: Manual and guidelines for the GCC (in English, and review the Arabic translation) / December 2020 – March 2021
* Organisation of focal points meeting: Agenda, Invitation letter, Workshop Presentations, Workshop report / November 2020
* Organisation of International Best Practices Conference and Workshop: Agenda, Invitation Letter, Identification of Experts and Workshop presentations, Workshop report / December 2020 – March 2021
* Social Media and Communication material content and Develop a brief on policy recommendations: The communication materials and Policy recommendations brief / November 2020 – April 2021
Academic Qualifications: A Second-level university degree (Bachelor’s or higher) in social and/or environmental science, environmental management, marine biology, or equivalent work experience.
Experience: • Advanced University Degree, preferably in Environmental Sciences, Marine Biology, hydrology or related field;
• At least 10 years of proven experience in marine work
• Familiar with M&E methodologies and tool development;
• Experience in developing and implementing participatory capacity building workshops targeted towards improving the technical capacity of technical experts, managers and decision makers;
• Knowledge of the GCC/Middle East context;
• Excellent organizational, decision-making and problem-solving skills;
• Used to working to deadlines and producing deliverables at short notice;
Language: Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Arabic language is desirable.