Associate Climate Advisor
This is a senior appointment with long-term career potential, working in a sector which is responding to and addressing the risks associated with climate change – identified as the most significant risk to global economic development.
The aim of this role is to contribute to building the climate resilience market and services in the Environmental Division of Mott MacDonald, supported by our Global Climate Change Practice.
The successful candidate will work as part of the existing Climate Resilience and Environmental Sustainability (CRES) team within Mott MacDonald’s Environment Division with the following responsibilities:
- The role has a particular focus on business development in the EUNA (Europe and North Africa) region and aspirations for growing the team. The successful candidate will take a leadership role in developing business opportunities and pursuing clients.
- Build our portfolio of climate change projects and programmes in line with longer term market expectations.
- Proactively pursue opportunities, maintaining good relations with relevant client organisations and partners, and directing the preparation of proposals.
- Develop and share understanding of market opportunities in climate change and strengthen our capture strategy. Maintain existing internal working relationships, contribute to profile raising and establishing new relationships with key stakeholders e.g. account leads; work with current CRES team members to build capacity for climate resilience in other teams.
- Proactively contribute to our proposals for technical excellence in our response to climate change.
- Be involved in project delivery through directing projects. Support sharing of knowledge and experience, both within the team as well as the wider Group.
- Participate in the wider global community of climate consultants within Mott MacDonald, collaborating with colleagues both within our operational Unit and across all MM Regions. Be a mentor and coach for junior colleagues to build their understanding and capabilities.
- Together with others in the team, provide thought leadership in the market, prepare materials for and attend industry events, and engage with our clients to share our collective experience.
You will operate at strategic as well as operational levels, possess excellent inter-personal skills to engage with our team and clients, and demonstrate innovation to inspire our team and clients alike in responding today’s and tomorrow’s global climate change challenges.
Prior to the covid-19 pandemic, this role would have required willingness and ability to travel for business.
Required criteria for ideal Associate Climate Advisor
- A Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Climate Studies, Environmental Management, Sustainability Studies or a related field.
- Sound commercial understanding and desire to operate within a dynamic commercial environment.
- Demonstrated business development experience with a track record of growing a business and securing and successfully completing climate resilience projects.
- Significant experience in the design, implementation and management of projects in the field of climate resilience.
- Demonstrated experience in climate resilience, development of climate change strategies and adaptation policies, climate change risk assessments.
- Technical climate resilience skills and experience applying them across a range of sectors.
- Demonstrated experience of winning climate resilience, climate change risk assessment or related projects. Existing network of contacts within clients such as UK / European Government departments, local and national government, international development banks, private sector, non-profits.
- Clear, concise writing style and experience in proposal writing for international development audiences.
- Fluency in written and oral English - additional language capabilities will be appreciated.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and demonstrated strong time-management skills.
- Excellent supervisory, organisational, motivational and management skills. Demonstrated experience working in an international, multicultural and diverse environment, with collaborative approach and working across sectoral and regional boundaries.
- Demonstrated ability and enthusiasm for working and delivering as a team.
Mott MacDonald is committed to improving people’s lives through delivering sustainable infrastructure solutions.
Our Climate Resilience and Environmental Sustainability team is based in the UK, working to deliver climate change adaptation, resilience and sustainable environmental solutions to a range of customers in the private and public sector. Recent clients have included Crossrail 2, HS2 (Phase 2B EIA), Network Rail, EBRD, World Bank, C40 and Reading Climate Change Partnership.
As the UK’s National Infrastructure Plan rolls on, projects in the power, rail, highways, aviation and water sectors need the input of talented specialists to ensure the best outcomes for communities and their surroundings. We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle, and are looking for like-minded, forward-thinking individuals to join our growing team.
What sets us apart is that we approach problems from a fresh perspective. As an employee-owned company, we have the freedom and independence of mind to find new ways to enhance human well-being and foster social and economic development through connected thinking.
For more information about our Environment sector click here
Equality, diversity and inclusion:
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
For more information about our Environment sector click here
For more information about our Water sector click here