2021 UK Graduate Water Resources Scheme (Multiple Positions)
Graduate Hydrologist (Cambridge and Leeds)
You will help our experts who help our client manage, model and regulate their water resources. We deliver key services to a variety of clients such as water companies, environmental regulators, and government bodies.
Typical duties and responsibilities will include:
- Data collection, review, and analysis
- Hydrological modelling
- Ground and surface water quantity and quality analysis
- Hydrogeological analysis
- Undertaking appropriate training and working towards professional qualification
Graduate Hydrogeologist (Cambridge and Leeds)
You will work alongside our experts on a range of groundwater projects that assist our clients with their water resources.
Typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Ground and surface water quantity and quality analysis
- Hydrogeological analysis
- Work with a variety of clients such as water companies, environmental authorities and government bodies.
- Prepare maps of groundwater elevations, geologic structure, cross-sections. Water quality and other hydrogeographic data.
Graduate Flood Risk Modeller (Cambridge/Leeds)
You will work on a range of river and coastal hydraulic modelling and hydrology projects. You will be given full training in industry standard hydraulic modelling and hydrology approaches to.
Typical duties will include:
- Survey management,
- Model building and verification
- Solution development using a variety of model packages.
- Detailed 1D-2D hydraulic modelling using a variety of modelling packages, including TUFLOW, HEC-RAS, Flood Modeller Pro.
- Flood Risk/ Consequence Assessments.
- Fluvial and Coastal risk management projects.
- Hydrological studies.
- Design of SuDS and conventional drainage systems.
Graduate Asset Management Consultant (Cambridge)
Our water asset management and investment planning team provide strategic water sector services to utilities, regulators, multilateral and commercial lenders, government organisations and research bodies. These services include asset management planning, utility performance improvement, regulatory advisory services, investment appraisal, water resource strategies and project finance advisory services. There is a strong demand for our services, particularly with asset management playing a key role in helping water companies meet their targets and achieve their goals across their infrastructure and operations.
You are likely to undertake the following type of work:
- Prepare interactive data visualisations
- Analyse large quantities of data from water companies, analysing asset, performance and cost information to assess investment needs
- Support and advise water companies to operate their assets in a better way
- Provide input across a diverse range of water and wastewater projects, including developing decision support tools
- Prepare technical reports and live data sets
Graduate Geomorphologist (Bristol)
You will join the Mott MacDonald water environment team and help their clients understand and sustainably manage river environments. This might include restoring river habitats, designing flood schemes including nature-based solutions, or assessing and reducing the environmental impacts of new infrastructure on watercourses
We are looking for a flexible and motivated graduate with a genuine passion for water resources and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this scheme, you must have a strong interest and commitment to developing your career within water resources, and you will have less than 12 months experience and have achieved a 2.1 degree, as well as a postgraduate qualification in:
- Water resources, or related degree
- Maths, statistics or related
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
- It would be advantageous if you have previous experience of using water modelling software packages such as ISIS, MIKE, TUFLOW or Infoworks
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
Equality, diversity and inclusion:
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how to help.
We support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
About this graduate role – is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with our graduate programme, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution.
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online.
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a three-year programme which develops your strengths, it also gives you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort. The programme is a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars and business challenges.
We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.
Our social side
Being part of Mott MacDonald means more than just work, there’s a huge range of fun and exciting things that you can get involved in. From the moment you join us, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your social and professional network, whether it’s meeting other graduates at the graduate weekend residential course or joining forces with other members of staff from around the company at our annual sports day.
Each of our offices have a sports and social committee which will give you the chance to be part of a variety of sports, social and charity events. We’re committed to promoting a strong culture of social responsibility and encourage our staff to play active roles in the local community.
It's worth noting that sports and social committees tend to vary from office to office, so as well as getting involved in what’s already on offer, don’t be afraid to suggest new events or initiatives that you think could be a great addition.
It doesn’t stop there. As well as events, you’ll also have access to discounts on cinema tickets, travel, fashion, utilities and much more as part of our company benefits which you can take advantage of the moment you join.