“Candidates who have applied earlier need not re-apply”
Organisation: “GOI-UNDP Project “Governance and Accelerated Livelihoods Support”
Supervisor: Joint Secretary, MGNREGA and Programme Analyst, UNDP
Duty Station : New Delhi (placed in the Ministry of Rural Development)
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), 2005 guarantees wage employment on public works to any adult who is willing to do casual manual work. In case there is inability to provide 100 days of wage employment per household per year, the household will be provided with a daily unemployment allowance. The programme is expected to cover poor households on the principle of self-selection.
The Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD)-UNDP partnership on ‘Governance and Accelerated Livelihoods Support’ helps strengthen the effectiveness of key Ministry programmes by providing (a) technical assistance to the Central and State governments to improve sustainable livelihoods with linkages to Panchayati Raj Institutions for governance in left wing extremism affected areas (b) policy advice and technical assistance to the Ministry and the state governments to help improve the efficiency, accountability and inclusiveness of National Rural Livelihoods Mission and the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Scheme and (c) policy advice and technical assistance to the Ministry and state governments to help “green” select schemes.
Under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme, UNDP provides technical support for efficient and accountable implementation through (a) introducing mechanisms for regular feedback to the Ministry with a focus on backward States (b) analysing operational procedures and recommending steps for rationalizing them; (c) establishing social audit directorates and (d) developing strategies for skill development of households employed under MGNREGA through NRLM.
As part of its support to MGNREGA, UNDP is looking for an experienced and technically sound engineer, especially on Integrated Natural Resource Management concept, who can formulate guidelines, manuals and training modules for various works to be taken up under MGNREGS, conduct training for technical resources and advise the Ministry/ States on technical issues, Convergence Frameworks, etc.
The selected candidate will be placed within the Ministry of Rural Development, New Delhi.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions: The Project Officer, Works will work under the guidance and supervision of the Joint Secretary, MGNREGA and Programme Analyst, UNDP. The incumbent will be primarily responsible for driving Integrated natural Resource Management based planning for works, formulating guidelines, designs, standard estimates, manuals and training modules for works and monitoring their quality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Officer will be responsible for the following functions:
- Establish an Integrated Natural Resource Management Framework for MGNREGS works in convergence with PMKSY, IWMP and CAD&WM..
- Disseminatethe Framework to States and monitor its dissemination to District, block and GP level.
- Contribute technical inputs into natural resources management (NRM) policies and strategies for intervening in the agricultural and rural development sector, in line with the Ministry’s strategy.
- Prepare designs and standard estimates for various NRM and other works to be taken up under the programme.
- Propagate the use of climate resilient green technologies in the construction activities.
- Propagate the use of local materials and labour intensive technologies in estimate preparation.
- Act as a focal point for the multidisciplinary natural resource issues on water and land, agriculture, and forestry in various activities of the Department, including co-ordination with other stakeholders within the Ministry as well as across similar Departments/ Ministries.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Labour Budgets according to the priorities set forth by the NRM Framework.
- Use the IT system to digitize the estimates for easy adoption at the field level/NREGASoft.
- Advise on works and their execution, and in preparation of guidelines for works.
- Define set of outcomes for each work and for their adoption in the estimate preparation
- Work in conjunction with various Ministries, Departments and Stakeholders under NRM Framework.
- Work closely with the quality control teams in each State for bringing in quality consciousness and livelihood enhancement in implementation of NRM works.
- Prepare a monitoring Framework utilizing the technical resources of the partners in convergent Framework.
- Monitor the quality of works in the field by undertaking independent studies and make recommendations for improving the same. Support impact assessment studies relating to NRM works.
- Conduct field assessment of execution of MGNREGA Works in selected locations for durability, usefulness and outcomes from time to time;
- Support the design and implementation of new climate resilient innovations within the infrastructural designing, planning, budgeting and implementation process;
- Facilitation of multi-stakeholder workshops and broad-based consultative processes;
- interact with senior government officials, development partners, producers organizations and beneficiaries to facilitate exchange of critical information and validate the findings and recommendations regarding the creation of durable assets under MGNREGA
- Based on feedback and findings from field visits, also periodically revise the estimates, if needed.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports to be submitted to GoI and UNDP.
- Advise Government and development partners on water conservation, watershed management, irrigation programmes, rural infrastructure, etc.
- Be a Resource Person for UNDP in its programmes/project, as necessary
- Perform any other related tasks consistent with the level of the post and/ or assigned by the Joint Secretary, MGNREGA and Programme Analyst, UNDP.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- In-depth understanding of public works execution/ Watershed Management/ Water Conservation/ INRM
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Establish, build and sustain effective relationship, partnerships and alliances
- Peoples’ orientation and the ability to work with people;
- Establish, build and sustain effective relationships, partnerships and alliances, advocates effectively and communicates sensitively;
- Result-orientation and ability to develop strategic approaches;
- Identifies problems and propose solutions;
- Demonstrates strong influencing and facilitation skills.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Document and analyse innovative strategies and new approaches
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in natural resources management, agricultural science, soil and water resources, environmental management or related disciplines.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience in the development of NRM operations, policy formation, capacity building and project management in agricultural and natural resources management sectors;
- Extensive knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of conservation, management, protection, and sustainable utilization of natural resource such as water and land, agriculture, and forestry;
- Strong background and knowledge in natural resources issues and their inherently complex and dynamic environmental, hydrological, and agro-forestry systems as well as climate change and its implications on these systems.
- Experience in dealing with/ understanding of national programmes like Mahatama Gandhi NREGA, Pradhan mantra Krishi Sinchayee Yojna (PMKSY), Integrated Watershed Management Programme and Command Area Developmant and Water Management.
- Ability to organize and conduct trainings and technical workshops related to the sustainable use and protection of natural resources.
- Ability to work with people and demystifying estimates
- Promoting labour intensive, local materials
- Adoption of green technologies in construction.
- Experience of Watershed management, water conservation, Integrated Natural Resource management, etc. in large public or Government programme would be desirable
- Experience with developing and implementing small-scale rural infrastructure projects;
- Sound understanding on linkages between climate change, ecosystems and small scale Infrastructures evidenced through past work experience;
- Experience with climate risk, vulnerability and adaptation assessments or related approaches and with participatory approaches of project identification and management
- Proficiency in MS-Office, especially PowerPoint and Excel; understanding of Management Information System (MIS) is an asset
- Familiarity with government policies, programmes and government operational systems in India
- Strong communication (written and oral) skills
- Ability to work in small teams, and flexible ways of working
- Fluency in English and Hindi is essential. Knowledge of regional language(s) would be an asset.
Remuneration package is Rs. 157,749/- per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.