(Senior) Water Resources Sector Engineer
The term of this contract will be 4 years.
Panel interviews are anticipated for December.
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The Water Security and Resilience Division (WSR) and the Agribusiness and Rural Development Division (AGRUDEV) are looking for a (Senior) Water Resources Sector Specialist for the preparation, appraisal and implementation, of the technical, operational and environmental viability of capital investment projects and programmes in the fields of water and wastewater services, irrigation and drainage.
Depending on your profile, you will report to the Head of either the WSR or the AGRUDEV Division, working closely with both Divisions as well as other professional staff mainly in the Projects (PJ) and Lending (OPS) Directorates.
PJ is generally responsible for the quality of the projects financed by the Bank from a technical, environmental, social and economic perspective. You will be in charge of the: preparation of projects, mobilising technical assistance where required; appraisal of projects to be approved by the Bank’s governing bodies; and the monitoring of project implementation, all in accordance with Bank standards and requirements. You will also provide sectoral policy support and participate in other related cross cutting activities as required.
You will be required to travel to project locations within and out of the EU (normally short trips of up to a week depending on the project location).
- Assist in the identification and screening of new projects and contribute to all the relevant aspects of project preparation
- Assess the technical and operational viability, environmental sustainability, permitting aspects, and socio-economic issues of projects and programmes in the countries in which the Bank operates
- Draft the relevant aspects of the investment proposals for Bank lending and monitor approved operations during the implementation stage, including through deployment of external consultants
- Contribute to sector studies, lending policy papers and other analyses in support of the Divisions and wider Bank activities as required.
- University degree, in a relevant Engineering discipline (e.g. Civil, Agricultural), or other closely relevant field. A post graduate degree, such as an MBA would be considered as an asset
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the water/wastewater services, and irrigation or related sectors covering the main aspects of the project cycle (feasibility, design, development, contracting) and their management and operation;
- Proven knowledge or direct experience of any of the following would represent an advantage:
- Work experience outside the EU
- Public procurement and mobilising/managing consultancy assignments
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
- Design of IWRM approaches for river basin or flood risk management plans
- Management/coordination of water user associations
- Farm/rural, including green, infrastructure and agriculture value chain.
- Good working knowledge of both French(*) and English
- Solid IT (standard Office tools, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and writing skills;
Find out more about EIB core competencies here
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 6th November 2020
(*). We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.