If so, consider this challenging opportunity as a Lands and Waters Technical Specialist.
What can I expect to do in this role?In this role, you will:
• administer Lands and Waters program licence/permit and administrative processes
• participate in work program activities including preparing recommendations, organizing field projects, controlling budget expenditures and monitor progress and results of projects
• provide lands and waters program technical expertise and group leadership through consultation, negotiations, and conflict resolution
• prepare and implement compliance plans, conduct field inspections and investigations and provide testimonial evidence in court
• support long range planning teams by providing technical expertise
• communicate lands and waters program information to the public, clients, partners, resource industries and Indigenous peoples
• participate in the delivery of other district resource management programs (e.g. Aggregates, Fish and Wildlife, Planning)
How do I qualify?
Mandatory:You must have a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver’s licence upon being hired.
Technical expertise:• You have in depth working knowledge of lands and waters legislation (e.g. Public Lands Act, Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act, Beds of Navigable Waters Act) and related legislation, regulations, policies and procedures in order to administer land tenure, licence and permit processes (e.g. work permits, land use permits, leases and sales) and to provide technical/operational leadership to staff, resource clients and the public on Lands and Waters program activities.
• You have demonstrated knowledge of enforcement and compliance procedures to conduct, or participate in, operational audits of individuals and industries by determining level of adherence to operating approvals, investigating infractions and providing technical information as a witness in cases of non-compliance.
Communication and interpersonal skills:• You have strong communication skills to make presentations, conduct training, present evidence at legal proceedings and respond to media and public inquiries.
• You have the ability to compose high quality written products such as briefing notes, draft Minister’s letters, agreements and technical reports.
• You have interpersonal skills to participate in public meetings and public consultation processes as a ministry representative.
• You have the ability to interact with a variety of internal and external clients and stakeholders to promote understanding and discuss sensitive land and resource decisions, facilitate resolution of land management conflicts and disposition of Crown resources.
Analytical and planning skills:• You have analytical and problem solving skills to review and analyze data (e.g. original patents, deeds, surveys, Crown reservations) to determine ownership and rights to resources and to identify authorized uses or occupation of Crown lands.
• You have the ability to evaluate information from staff and stakeholders to confirm adherence to legislation/policy or in cases of non-compliance take or recommend corrective action.
• You have demonstrated planning and coordinating skills to provide technical input into land use and resource management planning processes, plan and coordinate projects and ensure timely completion of a variety of tasks and competing priorities.
- 1 Permanent, 922 Scott St, Fort Frances, North Region
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.