Founded in 1985, Cowater International Inc. has built a global reputation for excellence in the world of management consulting in international development. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and with experience in more than 65 countries Cowater has made a difference in the lives of hundreds of thousands of people through the provision of clean water, sanitation, access to clean energy and jobs.
The Water, Sanitation and Environment team is excited to announce an opening for a dynamic early career professional to join the team as a Project Officer. The Water, Sanitation and Environment team runs projects across the globe (Jordan, Afghanistan, Zambia, Burkina Faso and Peru, for example) on topics as varied as rural water supply, renewable energy and environmental legislative reform. The specific service lines of the WSE group include: rural and urban water supply; sanitation & hygiene; natural resources & environmental management; renewable energy & energy efficiency; agricultural water management and climate change adaptation. Cowater’s projects are located in developing countries and overseas. Consequently, travel to these countries is required both for project administration/ support purposes and for carrying out specific project assignments.
The Project Officer will work under the direction of the WSE Group’s Vice President and will work closely with Project Managers/Directors to implement project activities in a range of international projects. The Project Officer role is designed to offer a variety of experience to the candidate in order to encourage their professional growth. Specific tasks include proposal preparation and business development, technical support to Managers and Directors on project implementation, and research.
- Recent graduate with a Master’s degree in environmental sciences, climate change, water resources management, engineering or a related field relevant to natural resources management;
- Evidence of strong research, analysis and written communication skills will be viewed favourably;
- Subject areas of interest include environmental management, renewable energy, water resources management, water supply, sanitation, climate change, and agricultural sciences/irrigation;
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant status preferred;
- Experience working in a developing country;
- At least 2 years of professional experience related to the subject matter listed above;
- Professional fluency in French is highly desirable;
- Excellent organizational skills; and
- Understanding and awareness of good development principles
The Project Officer’s tasks will include the following:
Support to management and implementation of WSE projects:
- Quality assurance/quality control of project deliverables produced by team members;
- Budget planning and oversight;
- Consultant contract administration & oversight;
- When possible, contribute to preparation of project deliverables as a researcher, analyst or subject matter specialist;
- Participate in other Cowater projects as a subject matter specialist, as opportunities arise. Specific responsibilities will vary from project to project but will involve tasks that utilize the employee’s specific technical and analytical skills to advance project goals.
- Participate in winning new projects, with a focus on water, sanitation, natural resource management, climate change and renewable energy;
- Identify prospective projects through the use of published/online materials, direct contact with clients and target market personnel (working closely with Cowater’s Business Development team in these efforts);
- Assist in preparation of proposals, including writing technical methodologies and recruitment of project teams;
- Identify and develop new market opportunities for Cowater; which may include engaging with public and private sector partners in identifying potential new projects.
- Edit project documents for ease of reading and syntax as requested by the VP and/or Project Managers;
- Assist the Project Managers in ensuring all reports are prepared and submitted to the Client according to the contract and in a timely manner;
- Conduct research from various sources and weave together into cohesive documents; and
- Provide overall support for new and existing projects as requested by the VP and/or Project Managers;
Please send cover letter and CV through http://www.cowater.com/job-listings/. This is an ongoing and open recruitment and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We expect to make a decision on hiring by early February, 2017, with a start date shortly thereafter.
We thank all applicants, however only those making the shortlist will be contacted.
For more information on Cowater visit: www.cowater.com