U.K./Commonwealth/E.E.A. nationals: Senior Associate, Engineer (RAPID)
Birmingham, West Midlands, B5 4UA : London, WC1B 3HF
About the job
Ofwat (the Water Services Regulation Authority) is the economic regulator of the water and wastewater sector in England and Wales. Our role is to help it build trust and confidence with customers, the environment and wider society. Ofwat has an ambitious new strategy and as a regulator we are setting ourselves up to achieve and equal the ambition of this new strategy. It matters to us that things on the ground really change so that our impact on customers, the environment and the future of water is tangible and meaningful.
Our work is high-profile and fast-moving, within a dynamic and agile environment. The work that you’ll be involved in every day will be about helping us to deliver our strategy, helping to us to be the regulator we want to be and helping the sector to deliver outcomes that matter to customers and society. Our strategy sets out the role Ofwat will play. We will adapt, be confident, act with purpose and integrity and continuously improve so that we make the greatest contribution possible to improving life through water.
Water is a precious resource. Our water resources are coming under increasing pressure from population growth, economic development and climate change. Society also expects that water will be available for users whilst also improving the environment. These factors all contribute to a growing sense of urgency that we need to act now to develop efficient new national supply options to avoid restrictions in the near future.
In response the (Regulator’s Alliance for Progressing Infrastructure Development) RAPID has been formed to help accelerate the development of new water infrastructure and design future regulatory frameworks. The joint team is made up of the three water regulators Ofwat, the Environment Agency and Drinking Water Inspectorate. It will provide a seamless regulatory interface, working with the industry to promote the development of national water resources infrastructure that is in the best interests of water users and the environment.
RAPID is working alongside the five regional water resources planning groups, to ensure that we have timely delivery of new infrastructure. Where necessary, RAPID will assist the regulators in identifying and overcoming potential regulatory and commercial barriers. RAPID is overseen by a Board chaired by the Ofwat CEO, with membership from each of the regulators.
The successful applicant will be working for Ofwat but allocated to the cross-regulator RAPID cluster to support its work.
We are seeking an experienced water sector engineer, scientist or environmentalist. The successful candidate will play an important role in delivering our strategy and will need to be able to respond flexibly to the needs across the organisation. They will be deployed in the newly formed RAPID cluster, a cross regulatory unit to facilitate the development of new strategic water resources infrastructure for generations to come.
This role requires a high level of technical competency, excellent written and oral communication skills, policy development skills, well developed people and stakeholder management skills, and a track record of delivery against challenging deadlines.
The successful candidate will be in our water engineering, science and technology (WEST) profession but be expected to work with other professionals (economists, policy specialists, data analysts, corporate finance experts and other experts) to solve regulatory problems. Our WEST roles are not purely technical advisory. We expect them to take part in policy development and have the ability to communicate complex analysis to non-technical audiences.
As a Senior Associate, you will play a key role in the RAPID cluster and developing Ofwat’s approaches to long term water resources planning. You may lead a small workstream or manage small projects. You’ll ensure that we’re delivering on our strategic objectives on time and to budget, and also contribute to the effective identification and management of strategic risk and opportunities.
You will have a degree of autonomy, responsibility, and you will have ample opportunities to develop and consolidate your skill set. You are expected to be a self-starter and do not require detailed supervision from senior colleagues. You will continue to hone your judgement and be expected to exercise it responsibly in line with our strategy and ways of working. You will also be developing and using your ability to persuasively communicate and engage with stakeholders, both internally and externally. You are expected to provide support to colleagues across the organisation, proactively sharing skills and knowledge, and equally will be supported by coaching and mentoring.
You will continuously develop your skills through continued Learning and Development within your profession and within the RAPID cluster.
Some of the key areas of work include:
• Work closely with the other regulators to support the development of the water resources planning framework and technical guidelines.
• Support the strategic regional water resource solution gated assessment process including reviewing company submissions and implementing lessons learned
• Support the development of wider regulatory and commercial frameworks to support large scale multi-party infrastructure development
• Provide scrutiny, challenge and written and oral feedback on regional water resource plans and company water resources management plans
• Provide wider support of the RAPID team in delivering its forward programme and the other related Ofwat clusters (primarily Future Assets & Resources and PR24 & beyond).
Graduate qualification in engineering or similar, or, equivalent professional experience within the appropriate field of expertise to this role.
* Post graduate degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field.
* Chartered status with engineering or other appropriate professional body
* Experience of carrying out a relevant role within Government, a regulated business, water sector supply chain organisation, consultancy or in another similarly relevant position.
* Experience or knowledge of developing policy in a complex organisational environment.
* Proven ability of working under pressure to produce high quality analysis to tight timescales while managing competing priorities
* Experience of working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
* Experience of engaging with senior internal and external stakeholders
* Experience of assessing and providing a quality assurance role both for peers’ analysis and that of consultants
* Understanding of investment appraisal techniques.
* Understanding of the processes and techniques associated with water resources management planning.
* Practical knowledge of the water industry in an area such as capital programme delivery, meeting environmental obligations, business planning or water business operation or management
* Understanding of water sector resilience.
Broad understanding of utility regulation and the operation of the water sector
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate Civil Service Behaviours and Strengths during the recruitment process with; communicating and influencing, seeing the big picture and making effective decisions assessed based on candidates written applications and at interview. The changing and improving and working together behaviours will be tested through the interview (and presentation) which may also test strengths.
Instructions for the presentation will be provided to candidates that successfully reach the interview stage. The written application and presentation will be used to judge candidates written communication skills.
A reserve list of candidates for similar roles within Ofwat may be kept for a period of up to 12 months.
On appointment the post holder will be entitled to 25 days annual leave plus 10½ days’ public and privilege holidays a year. Annual leave entitlement will be increased by one day for each year of continuous employment with Ofwat, up to a maximum leave allowance of 30 days.
We also offer a range of additional benefits. These include:
- fantastic civil service pension
- access to our package of benefits via our ‘Edenred’ scheme. This is a voluntary benefits scheme where staff have access to exclusive discounts on a range of goods and services such as retail outlets, theatre tickets, holidays, insurance and gym membership;
- cycle-to-work scheme;
- season ticket loan for travel between home and office;
- flexible working arrangements;
- fees paid for membership of relevant professional bodies;
- regular professional development;
- health and wellbeing initiatives; and
- free eye tests and contribution towards lenses/spectacles for VDU users, if appropriate
- learning and development tailored to your role
- an environment with flexible working options
- a culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
How to apply
Applications should include a:
• curriculum vitae (CV);
• covering letter or supporting statement that outlines the contribution you can make to Ofwat, including how you feel you meet our professional requirements and demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Civil Service Success Profiles;
• completed CV supplement form; and
• completed diversity monitoring form. This form is not mandatory.
Please email your CV and supporting documents to by the closing date.
If you are unable to make an electronic application, you may submit your application on paper. Please contact us to find out how.
Closing date - Sunday 25 October 2020 @ 5.00pm
Sifting - By 28 October 2020
Interview dates - 04-11 November 2020
Please note that during the Covid-19 pandemic interviews will be conducted via video conferencing software such as BlueJeans, skype or Microsoft Teams.
It is expected that the interview process for this vacancy will include a short presentation and/or assessment as detailed in the above candidate pack. Further details will be provided to shortlisted candidates upon invitation to interview.
If you have any queries about any aspect of this role, selection process, or you require any reasonable adjustments please email
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Ofwat Recruitment Team
Recruitment team :