Australia nationals: Assistant Program Officer (Holloways Beach Environmental Education Centre)
Holloways Beach Environmental Education Centre is seeking an Assistant Program Officer for 12 months with possibility of extension. The successful applicant will join a team to support the development and implementation of a youth engagement initiative using adventure based learning and adventure based therapy.
About Holloways Beach Environmental Education Centre
Holloways Beach Environmental Education Centre (HBEEC) is a residential and day visit facility operated by the Queensland Department of Education providing outdoor and environmental programs for students from Year 5 to Year 12. Situated 12km north of the Cairns CBD, the centre is uniquely located on 11 hectares of beach, littoral rainforest and mangrove forest.
As the Adventure Engagement Assistant Programs Officer you will:
- Contribute to the education of students by creating and developing appropriate facilities and physical resources for use in outdoor and environmental education programs
- Maintain centre facilities and physical resources to enable programs to be conducted in a safe, serviceable and hygienic environment.
The Adventure Engagement Programs Officer reports to the program coordinator of the centre.
As the Adventure Engagement Assistant Programs Officer you will have responsibility for the following:
- Assist the program coordinator and other teachers in the development and delivery of a unique adventure engagement initiative and, including planning, creating and developing resource material and equipment associated with programs.
- Plan and implement a program of preventative maintenance for all canoes, and equipment and for the environmental education centre.
- Assist in the drafting, updating, implementation, observance and continual assessment of the centre's safety policy that addresses occupational health and safety legislation relevant to the centres outdoor programs.
- Instruct students and teachers in a range of skills, techniques and experiences relative to safe, intelligent boating in an educational setting, including safety talks on rules, procedures and operations when canoeing and in associated environments, and how to operate and manoeuvre boats.
- Under the supervision of qualified teaching personnel, assist in the instruction and demonstration of components of outdoor and environmental education programs.
Apply Workplace Health and Safety procedures in relation to water safety, carry out risk assessments and implement safety management plans, continuously assessing and monitoring the adequacy and effectiveness of the centre's safety and emergency policies and procedures through liaison with outdoor education leaders, organisations and government bodies.
When working in regulated employment an employee must have a current Working with Children Clearance (blue card) issued by Blue Card Services.
This position would be suited to applicants with experience or qualifications in outdoor education activities such a white water rafting, high ropes, bush walking.
Current TAE certificate IV will be highly regarded but not essential.
To apply please attach the following:
- A brief resume including contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your current supervisor)
- A maximum 1 page written response outlining your suitability for the role including industry experience in outdoor adventure based programs, qualifications and skills to meet the needs of the role referring to the key capabilities under the ‘How you will be assessed' section in the attached role description.
Applications remain current for 12 months from the closing date and may be considered for appointment to identical or similar vacancies within the Department.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.
For a full list of the position responsibilities and mandatory requirements, please ensure you download the attached role description and candidate information fact sheet and follow the instructions.
Before applying for this vacancy please ensure you read the documents below.
FNR354097_20T - Role Description (Word, 202KB)
Candidate Information Fact Sheet 2020 (PDF, 482KB)
Information Package for Applicants