Entry Level GIS Professional
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Dewberry is seeking an Entry-level GIS Professional for projects in our Atlanta, GA Office. This is an excellent career opportunity for an individual looking to join a team of professionals working in a multidisciplinary consulting and engineering firm. The position offers great potential for professional growth in a fantastic working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technology to flood studies and water resource projects. Typical projects involve assisting federal, state and local clients in completing flood study related projects.
Technical responsibilities include:
- Assisting engineers in hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, modeling, and floodplain mapping;
- Production of FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS) and updating related geospatial databases;
- Developing flood risk products and performing flood risk assessments;
- Perform analysis on GIS datasets for flood hazard mapping and risk projects;
- Checking for graphical and technical accuracy of FIRM deliverables and associated reports;
- Creation of non-standard maps, graphics, exhibits, and other visualizations from project outputs, to assist with project outreach and communication activities
- Prepare and maintain internal and external project documentation and reports
- Coordinating with the project team, project managers, clients, local communities, and other contractors to compile all data necessary to produce the most up-to-date product
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree a plus), geography or GIS degrees preferred
- 0 - 3 years of professional work experience in geography (preferably in FIRM production)
- Knowledge of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), FEMA Flood Insurance Studies, MT-2, and/or other flood study related programs and processes
- Knowledge, interest, and project experience in GIS applications, including ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS Online
- Strong oral, people, and written communication skills
- Strong MS Excel and MS Access skills to leverage various data sources for use in GIS projects
- Intermediate proficiency in python modeling/scripting and model builder for ArcGIS
- CFM (Certified Floodplain Manager) is a strong plus
- Knowledge of FEMA Guidelines and Standards for Flood Risk Analysis and Mapping
- Intermediate experience with FEMA’s HAZUS application for multi-hazard risk analysis
- Knowledge of FEMA's MIP tracking and reporting system a plus
- Knowledge of Flood Mitigation and other Grant Programs a plus
- Knowledge of Environmental Regulations a plus
- Knowledge of Watershed Planning a plu
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*All recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.