Short Term Consultant: Climate Resilience Practice
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
WRI India is seeking a short-term consultant to join the Climate Resilience Practice (CRP) team in India. The consultant will support the vision of CRP to help governments, civil society and private players to build a more resilient and sustainable development pathway.
WRI’s CRP team engages in a diverse body of work. The current projects build on a foundation of almost 10 years of work on climate change adaptation. CRP has developed path-setting knowledge products to assess national institutional capacity and support civil society to enhance resilience efforts at the scale required.
This position is a unique opportunity for those wishing to be at the forefront of cutting-edge research and implementation in the field of agriculture, resilient supply chains, and sustainable fashion. The consultant will join a team of highly motivated individuals at CRP and work closely with key partner agencies and stakeholders to produce quality research and output that can help identify the availability and viability of agricultural waste and residue that to use as feedstock for textile production at scale, and interact with key stakeholders from the both the agricultural input and apparel industries to identify a viable pathway forward.
The intern’s main areas of responsibility will include the following:
- Undertake analysis and evaluation of agricultural waste and residue of key crops in identified locations to map potential for feedstock that can contribute to textile production --- based on technology, yield per hectare etc. and also current uses of residues (based on the bio refineries approach for most optimal use)
- Create spatial databases of shortlisted feedstock taking into account current competing uses, harvesting practices etc.
- Identify key resilience, risk and climate impacts using methodologies like Science Based Target Initiatives, Regenerative and Sustainable Agriculture Practices etc.
- Work with the CRP team and key partner agencies to contribute to developing reports and other outreach products
- Identify and interact with stakeholders on a regular basis to communicate research findings, get feedback and build outreach
- Provide support to other CRP projects as and when required
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture Engineering/Agri-tech/GIS and related fields
- In depth knowledge of crop residue, textile fibre and associated supply chains (preferred)
- Expert knowledge and experience in use of GIS
- Ability to undertake complex quantitative and qualitative analysis of large data sets
- Ability to work independently and shoulder responsibility
- An insightful, independent, analytical mind with a passion for environmental and sustainable development issues
- Experience in contributing to research-based knowledge products grounded in strong analytical reasoning.
- Fluency in English and Hindi
- Prior work experience with research organizations
- Prior experience in engaging and interacting with key stakeholders from the environmental and developmental space
- Understanding of concepts related to key technical climate change issues and trends faced by agriculture sector, and climate resilience and adaptation
- Strong outreach and writing skills - speaking and writing to diverse audiences; delivering crisp well-nuanced pieces in quick turn-around time.
Duration: 4 Months
Location: Chennai/Bangalore, India
Start date: At the earliest
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter/ Resume
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.