Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here
About the MENA region
The MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region implements and manages programmes in Yemen, Occupied Palestinian Territories, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Jordan.
Programmes within the MENA region reflect Oxfam’s approach to work across the globe. We support self-reliance, not dependency, and to complement our work on the ground we strive to secure lasting change through our campaigning.
We also put women at the heart of all we do. The majority of people living in poverty are women and girls, and so this focus helps us to achieve our mission to overcome poverty and suffering.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks,
which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
To contribute to Oxfam vision in Jordan: Jordan’s water resources are more sustainably and accountably managed and equitably shared and more vulnerable conflicted-affected women, men and children are able to meet their basic water and sanitation needs through their increased role in decision-making at community and national level. Oxfam in Jordan’s WASH team work together with local communities, refugees, and local government to deliver projects that adhere to the community needs in terms of water, waste management, and PHE. In addition, together with the policy and advocacy team, WASH Programme staff in Jordan ensure the delivery of influencing activities falling under Oxfam’s WASH programme in Jordan as per the country and influencing strategies.
To support Oxfam in Jordan’s WASH Programme in research and advocacy activities as well as the implementation of the WASH Programme in Oxfam in Jordan. The role of the WASH Assistant will be to coordinate and support with the collection, documentation and analysis of data, key research documents, publications and reports and in coordination with WASH staff in Za’atari Camp, Host Communities and Amman offices. The WASH Assistant will also support documentation, information management, proposal development and project reporting for the WASH Programme.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support the research being carried out by the Senior Sustainable Development Research Officer & Campaigns and Influencing Project Manager.
- Support the implementation of influencing projects around WASH in coordination with the Campaigns and Influencing Project Manager and the broader influencing team.
- Contribute in the implementation of the ‘Beitak Baitak’ campaign including messaging, awareness raising activities, etc.
- Support in stakeholder engagement activities for WASH including stakeholder meetings, coordination workshops, etc.
- Update online information hub on a continuous basis in coordination with the web developer
- Provide translation of key project documents
- Lead on development of The WASH Impact newsletter on a quarterly basis
- Collect data from national and international publications and reporting including those specific to water, waste, and climate change
- Support the development of WASH proposals and concept notes
- Supporting the Deputy WASH Programme Manager with project implementation and coordination
- Support in the writing and presentation of WASH reports for donors
- Support the implementation of WASH projects in Jordan (in Za’atari Camp and host communities)
- Develop internal reports for research and support of the different teams in the WASH Programme
- Lead on information management for the WASH programme
- Field visits and field support for WASH projects implemented in Oxfam in Jordan when needed
- Support the data management process for the WASH Programme, including data entry/collection, data analysis, and other information as needed, while ensuring accuracy of numerical and qualitative data and addressing inaccuracies as they arise.
- Support programme colleagues in case of any technical difficulties or questions regarding the database and IM in general
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- An engineering degree in a subject related to water, sanitation or the environment
- At least 1 year of experience working in the WASH sector in Jordan in topics related to water, solid waste management, and/or climate change and sustainable development
- Knowledge of community engagement, water, sanitation, humanitarian response, and solid waste management in practice
- Experience in conducting research
- Strong writing skills, and experience writing on technical topics, including in a style suitable for non-technical readers.
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with the ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships and work in complex teams/groups
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills, able to understand complex issues and information from different sources and present this clearly and simply
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner and to identify and develop new ideas to further Oxfam’s WASH objectives.
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English and Arabic.
- Previous experience in working with INGOs is preferable
Key Behavioural Competencies
We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
Strategic Thinking and Judgment
We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.
Contract Length: October 2021
Benefits: Oxfam offers staff a comprehensive benefits package including annual leave entitlements, sick pay provision, medical cover plus opportunities for learning and development, part-time option, flexible working hours.
It is Oxfam’s policy to hire at the minimum to middle of the band, depending upon the skills and experiences of the strongest candidate.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
To view the full job description please download the attached document.