Water Resources Modelling Analyst
About the role:
As the Water Resources Modelling Analyst, you’ll use hydrometric and operational data to monitor and report on the water situation to enable review of water supply risk. You’ll deliver risk assessments of the water resources situation, including monitoring against the Lower Thames Control Diagram, as well as reviewing the water resource impacts from planned outages, providing information and insight to a range of stakeholders.
You’ll support the purpose of deployable output (DO), Outage and Headroom and lead the collation of data for production and reporting of the Security of Supply Index (SoSI) for regulatory submissions.
To deliver these activities, you’ll work collaboratively with varying teams as well as independently.
- Provide up to date information on the status and health of all water resources, maintaining appropriate historical weather records, and providing internal and external data reports.
- Provide assurance of Environment Agency data transfers, identifying needs and opportunities for developing the database.
- Provide information to the business on the status of water resource systems and sources, using a range of weather scenarios to enable assessment of the risks to supply and to support operational and asset management decision-making.
- Support the analysis and provision of water resource data and information, including deployable output, outage and headroom to support regulatory reporting for Annual Returns, as well as the development of our Water Resources Management & Drought Plans.
- Collate data for production and reporting of the Security of Supply Index (SoSI) for regulatory submissions.
- Maintain and develop quality management procedures to ensure successful internal and external audit outcomes.
- Support maintenance and development of water resource database, modelling and reporting tools to ensure they are fit for purpose, for management and evaluation of water resources and supply demand balance.
- Utilise Aquator models to examine our water resource system performance.
To be successful, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Understanding of catchment scale water resources, the influences of water abstraction and effluent treatment.
- Ability to collate, process and analyse large data sets.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use and apply computer-based modelling methodologies.
- Ability to communicate data analysis and modelling outcomes, and support translation into real-life asset performance decisions.
- Build a network of contacts in key areas of the business for communicating hydrometeorological and asset performance risk data.
- Training and/or work experience in hydrology and experience of working within the water industry on water resources management is desirable.
- Experience of using R would be an advantage.
- Understanding of the regulatory environment around water resources and its impact on the company is ideal.
What’s in it for you:
This is a fantastic opportunity to apply and develop skills in water resources system modelling.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Click here to find out more about working at Thames Water
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by suppling 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.