Iran nationals: National Disaster Risk Management (DRM) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) Institutional Consultant
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programs, and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources sustainably. The post is located in the FAO Representation in the Islamic Republic of Iran (Tehran) and the Ministry of Agriculture Jahad (MAJ). All FAO-Iran employees shall follow the UN workweek (from Sunday to Thursday) and holiday schedule.
The incumbent will perform his/her tasks and duties under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative to the I.R. Iran, direct supervision of the Assistant FAOR (Programme), in close coordination with the Project Officer, technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer, in close contact with the other FAO colleagues and in collaboration with the Department of Water and Soil of the Ministry of Agriculture Jahad.
The National DRM and CCA Institutional Consultant provides technical expertise and support to implementation, operation, and capacity development of the DRM and DRR-related technical concerns of the project associated with climate change in close collaboration with the Project Officer and the national stakeholders.
Task and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following tasks and duties:
- Liaise with relevant governmental authorities to better understand the available strategies, institutional mechanisms, and requirements of the Government of Iran (GoI) related to the DRM/CCA in the country;
- Review of policy, institutional capacity and available DRM and CCA practices in agriculture and natural resources management (with focus on soil and water resources) - at the national level and in the 4 target provinces;
- Prepare baseline assessment reports of DRM/CCA in agriculture and natural resources management at the national level and for each of the 4 provinces;
- Under the overall coordination of the Project Officer at FAO I.R. Iran and in close collaboration with the FAO team, undertake the vulnerability and risk assessment (with focus on soil, water and agriculture) in the 4 provinces;
- In close collaboration with the FAO team, identify and document appropriate climate and disaster resilient practices in soil, water management and agriculture, adopting multi-hazard and integrated approach (agriculture, soil, water, natural resources management) and drawing on FAO tested technologies and practices;
- Undertake capacity needs assessment for DRM and CCA in agriculture and natural resources management with focus on the 4 target provinces;
- Contribute to the development of provincial strategy for climate resilient and sustainable soil and water rehabilitation and management in the 4 target provinces;
- In collaboration with the FAO team, and based on the capacity needs assessment, coordinate the development of training programs and training materials;
- In close collaboration with government and provincial counterparts, organize the trainings, reporting and evaluation of effectiveness including pre and post training surveys;
- Support the FAO team in the identification of project pilot sites and design and implementation of pilot interventions;
- Contribute to the development of strategic frameworks and reports mentioned in the project document including the final report on DRM/CCA;
- Perform other tasks assigned by the FAO Representative to I.R. Iran.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Public Management, Agriculture, Natural Resources, DRM, climate change or a related field as appropriate for the assignment.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in strategic planning, policy and institutional capacity development, DRM and CCA.
- National of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Proven communications skills and fluent in English and Persian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge and familiarity with institutional, policy and regulatory frameworks of national entities engaged in DRM and CCA.
- Ability to interact tactfully and effectively with multiple institutional actors in diverse sectors and at diverse levels, to communicate messages and to promote dialogue.
- Knowledge of hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment methodologies.
- Experience in capacity needs assessment and design/delivery of training and capacity building programmes.
- Experience in developing and implementing DRM and CCA policies and programmes/projects.
- Proven capacity to conduct fieldwork and the ability to work in teams and establish working relationships central and local government institutions and civil society organizations.
- Good command of computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet).
- Excellent knowledge of and experience working with the Government of Iran (GoI) institutions. Experience with the agriculture sector is an asset
- Knowledge of conceptual frameworks on DRM and CCA;
- Capacity to draft concise and strategic documents.