The global objective of this contract is to provide Technical Assistance (TA) to the EU Delegation in Asunción in identifying strategic areas of support for its future cooperation with Paraguay in the sector of environment ´protection and fight against climate change.
- to further analyse the specific environmental and climate change challenges in Paraguay, and identify the needs and opportunities in the sector;
- to provide reliable and up-to-date data on the principal environmental hazards (climate change, deforestation, air pollution, water and land degradation, and biodiversity): status quo (31.12.2021) and trends over the last decade;
- to identify and analyse the main existing sectoral policies and legislation, that have an impact on a.m. environment, climate change, and natural resources issues, as well as the existing institutional capacities and resources to implement such policies and legislation;
- to provide a stakeholders analysis, including an analysis of the main constraints they face and how they intend to overcome such constraints. For this purpose, the assistance will also provide an analysis of the main socio-economic interests operating within the sector, and which kind of incentives could be put in place to ensure a more efficient implementation, outcomes and performance;
- to propose areas of support, objectives and expected result as well as possible actors, modalities of interventions and instruments for the future EU support to the sector in Paraguay in the framework of the Team Europe Initiative;
- to examine the feasibility and potential of fiscal measures and instruments to achieve environmental targets, to raise revenue and help improve environmental quality;
- to provide inputs for a possible EU project in these areas, including objectives, main activities, outcomes, crosscutting issues, etc.
The requested services are in the interest of the European Commission together with third countries benefiting from EU external aid. To enhance the impact of the EU’s actions, the services are required to examine the Team Europe Initiative on climate change action and protection of the environment “Green Alliance for Paraguay” attached to these ToR. The services will equally ensure coherence of the proposed actions with global commitments, EU commitments and the Paraguayan policies and institutional framework. This includes an adequate analysis of the social, economic, and environmental context of Paraguay.
The TA will ensure adequate participation of the institutional and private sector actors in this process, and will consult with the cooperation agencies active in this area or in other areas that are relevant for the purpose of this study. The TA will also look for complementarities with other EU operations at bilateral, regional and global level, as well as the programmes of donors and cooperation actors in the sector: among others IDB, World Bank, UNDP, GIZ, AECID, KfW. The Delegation will provides the experts with a list of relevant programmes and contacts.
Only the experts meeting the set criteria will be shortlisted and contacted.
- Expert in the field of environment and climate change;
- At least Master Degree level on the a.m. areas of expertise or alternatively relevant professional experience of minimum 6 years.
Professional experience required
- At least 6 years of experience in international cooperation.
- At least 4 years of experience in the field of environment related issues.
- Experience in results-based approaches, identification, monitoring and/or evaluation in development/international cooperation.
- Strong understanding of Latin American countries' political practices, knowledge of existing body of laws, regulations, and procedures
governing natural resources, environment and climate change, and appreciation for existing issues and initiatives to address these issues.
- Experience in Latin America in the field of climate change and environment protection and good knowledge of the environmental policy framework in Paraguay and/or other Latin American countries would be an asset.
- Ability to operate in English at least at C1 level and in Spanish at B2 level, for understanding, speaking and writing skills.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills demonstrated by experience.
80 working days
16 November 2020
Deadline For Applications