Nepal nationals: Programme Associate
Adaptation and Resilience Building
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) seeks to enable sustainable and resilient mountain development for improved and equitable livelihoods through knowledge generation and regional cooperation.
ICIMOD is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge-sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Working in partnership with regional and international organizations, ICIMOD aims to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the HKH. ICIMOD provides a platform for researchers, practitioners, and policy makers from the region and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional cooperation.
ICIMOD works through its six Regional Programmes: 1) Adaptation and Resilience Building, 2) Transboundary Landscapes, 3) River Basins and Cryosphere, 4) Atmosphere, 5) Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and 6) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks. These regional programmes are supported by four Thematic Areas – Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions – and underpinned by the Knowledge Management and Communication (KMC) Unit. ICIMOD seeks to contribute to reducing poverty and vulnerability and improving the lives and livelihoods of mountain women, men and children, now and in the future.
The thematic areas, regional programmes, and initiatives are supported by programme associates, who provide overall administrative and logistic support to ensure the smooth functioning of the unit.
Responsibilities and task
The Programme Associate will work for the Regional Programme Manager of Adaptation and Resilience Building (30%) and the Programme Coordinator (70%) of one of the initiatives within the regional programme. Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator and in close cooperation with the Regional Programme Manager and the initiative team, the Programme Associate will be responsible for the following:
Manage general administration
- Provide administrative support to ensure the smooth operation of the initiative/regional programme, including the preparation of a work calendar, contractual agreements, and annual plan and progress reports
- Receive guests and visitors of the regional programme and themes
- Ensure availability/functioning of required stationery and equipment
Support in organizing national/international travels and events
- Prepare the annual event calendar and related budgets; liaise with other relevant administrative sections for event organization and management
- Prepare participants’ lists, dispatch invitations, and manage follow-up communication
- Arrange travel and vehicles as required and manage travel claim distribution
- Arrange other logistical requirements for events, including travel/hotel/vehicle requirements, stationery, and other equipment
Coordinate finance and administration
- Ensure the completion of financial reports as per the standard checklist
- Monitor project budget utilization and payments, and liaise with the Finance Unit for the timely release of payments
- Support the regional programme in business development
Support Knowledge management and communication
- Assist team members in typing, formatting, and printing reports and documents
- Manage the unit’s information management system, including proper filing of documents
- Prepare submissions for the web and newsletter as required
- Maintain an updated contact list and communicate with external parties as required
- Support the design and management of the regional programme’s communication and management strategy
- Execute other tasks given by the Regional Programme Manager and Programme Coordinator as required and within one’s capacity
- Work in close collaboration with the Programme Officer to ensure smooth operation of the initiative
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration with a minimum of two years of work experience in an administrative capacity. An advanced degree or experience related to social and environmental sciences and natural resource management will be an asset.
- Experience in financial reporting and maintenance of accounts
- Strong interest to work in administration in the environment and development sectors
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write fluently in English and Nepali
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications)
- Teamwork and cooperation: Works smoothly and effectively with others in the team to establish constructive solutions to meet team objectives
- Result orientation: Takes responsibility for fulfilling challenging goals set in line with organizational processes
- Cross cultural impact: Adjusts to cultural differences and respects and understands cultural differences
- Analytical thinking: Seeks out information to understand problems and uses appropriate data to support decisions
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Continually improves work processes and questions status quo practices, traditions, and assumptions
- Self-development: Demonstrates a continuous learning attitude and seeks opportunities for personal development
- Developing others: Facilitates effective operational results and compliance
The duty station is Kathmandu. Frequent travel in the HKH region may be required.
One year, of which the first three months are probationary, with the possibility of an extension subject to ICIMOD’s future funding levels and performance.
As early as possible.
Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and equity policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD upholds a gender equity policy and is supportive of women professionals. It operates a day-care centre at the campus and is committed to the integration of gender equity at organizational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 13 Oct 2020 through ICIMOD's online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.