Senior Sustainable Development Research Officer (WASH)
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here
About the MENA region
The MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region implements and manages programmes in Yemen, Occupied Palestinian Territories, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Jordan.
Programmes within the MENA region reflect Oxfam’s approach to work across the globe. We support self-reliance, not dependency, and to complement our work on the ground we strive to secure lasting change through our campaigning.
We also put women at the heart of all we do. The majority of people living in poverty are women and girls, and so this focus helps us to achieve our mission to overcome poverty and suffering.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
To support Oxfam in Jordan’s WASH Programme in research and advocacy activities including awareness and behaviour change campaigns, production of key policy documents, and other key advocacy & influencing tasks.
Our role will require a range of skills and experience.
- University degree in political science, social work and/or communications, sustainable development, international development, environmental management or related fields
- At least 3 years of experience working in the WASH sector in Jordan as a researcher or project officer in the fields of water, solid waste management, and/or climate change and sustainable development
- At least 1 year working in the solid waste sector in Jordan including knowledge on key sector stakeholders
- Experience in the implementation of public awareness and behaviour campaigns in WASH
- Strong and proven research and writing skills (published research is preferable)
- Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with the ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships and work in complex teams/groups
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner and to identify and develop new ideas to further Oxfam’s WASH objectives.
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English and Arabic.
- Previous experience in working with INGOs is preferable
- At ease working with Syrian refugee communities and being based in Za’atari Refugee camp.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Contract Length: One year, renewable.
Benefits: Oxfam offers staff a comprehensive benefits package including annual leave entitlements, sick pay provision, medical cover plus opportunities for learning and development, part-time option, flexible working hours.
It is Oxfam’s policy to hire at the minimum to middle of the band, depending upon the skills and experiences of the strongest candidate.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
To view the full job description please download the attached document.
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.