Egypt nationals: Research Associate (Water and Land Management)
Main purpose of position
The incumbent will facilitate the technical backstopping needed for national scientists and support services to research and capacity development activities on water, land and ecosystems implemented in Egypt. S/he will support the research-for development continuum in order to realize high level of adoption and noticeable impact on the ground of these projects and activities.
- Play an effective role in ICARDA’s resource mobilization strategy to generate sufficient funds to support the implementation of research and capacity development activities in Egypt;
- Expand and strengthen ICARDA’s partnership with Egyptian-NARS institutions, regional and international organizations operating in Egypt, CGIAR Centers, private sector and other partners along the impact pathways of different projects on water, land and ecosystems;
- Play a major role in policy advocacy to mobilize needed policy support for ICARDA’s research-for-development collaborative projects in Egypt to enhance food security;
- Coordinate and monitor the timely implementation of all relevant collaborative research and capacity development activities in Egypt including field visits, traveling workshops and annual technical and steering committee meetings of different water, land and ecosystems projects;
- Assist with different aspects of project implementation, including, but not limited to, site characterization and preparation, data collection, analysis and quality assurance, equipment installation and maintenance, trainings and other knowledge dissemination events, and translation of technical material between English and Arabic;
- Follow up on reporting and projects progress according to the approved workplan.
- Follow up on budget utilization according to the timeline and planned activities;
- Contribute to the writing of technical reports and scientific papers;
- Represent ICARDA in national meetings, workshops, conferences in Egypt and elsewhere as requested;
- Perform any other relevant task as requested by supervisor.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Earned PhD in agronomy, soil and water conservation, agricultural engineering, irrigation and drainage or other related fields;
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in agricultural research at national and regional level;
- Knowledge of farm machinery testing, use of treated wastewater for agriculture, and design of agronomic trials involving interaction of different management practices;
- Comprehensive knowledge of associated disciplines with excellent teamwork, interpersonal and ability to work effectively with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- Has strong innovativeness and experience in the developing world, a track record in donor relations, fund raising and project development;
- Excellent English and Arabic communications skills;
- Capable and willing to work in a fast-paced and time sensitive environment, and able to adapt to unforeseen challenges and tasks that arise;
- Able and willing to travel extensively within Egypt and in the region;
- Holder of a valid Egyptian driver’s license with clean driving record.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is a nationally recruited position available for Egyptian for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 1 year, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
How to apply
Please apply online at https://apply.workable.com/icarda/j/FC33F1DBB2/ by 15 October 2020. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.