WASH Officer "WASH COVID-19"
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
- Water points Development
- Spearhead rapid/field needs assessment including Baseline surveys in WASH activities and determining most technically appropriate water supply and sanitation options;
- Supervise the Development and/or rehabilitation of appropriate WASH infrastructure in the communities;
- In consultation with the District Government, conducting feasibility studies, designing and preparing tender documents (includes bills of quantities) and technical guidance to the Project during tendering process;
- Prepare and submit sitreps/monthly/quarterly progress reports to the Project Coordinator, to the Programme Area Manager and to the Plan International Disaster Risk Manager;
- Lead preliminary hydro-geological and Topo-surveys and compiling data on the existing water sources in close liaison with District Government’s Water department (Serviços Distritais de Planificação e Infraestruturas);
- Sensitize the staff on environmental impact assessment (EIA) issues and the mitigating factors, so that our operations as an implementing organization can meet the minimum standards as set up by the water resources management authority, national environment management authority, and in conformity with the water national legislation;
- Ensure successful completion of construction works with submission of completion certificates to the Contractors
2. Project Development, Hygiene promotion and implementation
- Providing technical inputs in capacitating community-based water management structures including the water management committees;
- Ensure Hygiene Promotion through sensitization and provision of COVID-19 hygiene kits menstrual hygiene management kits;
- Capacity build the staff and other water users on the need to conserve water by using methods geared towards the general environmental conservation;
- Promote Safe water storage and good sanitation and hygiene practices at the household level;
- Review monthly and circumstantial reports to the supervisor;
- Participates in writing sectors monthly Sitreps reports and the weekly highlights;Supervision of the construction processes of different water infrastructures to their completion like test pumping process on the completion of borehole drilling and acquisition and interpretation of the test pumping data for the pumping plant design;Carry out any other related responsibilities as would be assigned by the Project Coordinator.
- Document and disseminate best practices on Water resources management in WASH coordination and other meetings in field level as may be required;
- Review monthly and circumstantial reports to the supervisor;Participates in writing sectors monthly sitreps reports and the weekly highlights;
- Other relevant duties assigned by the supervisor(s)
- To maximize overall project impact and optimize contribution of others, the post holder will be required to initiate, develop and maintain a range of working relationships externally with government counterparts, namely the district directorate of planning and infrastructures, local relevant clusters, implementing partners and other development organizations and internally with Program Area Manager
TeChnical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Diploma holder in the Civil and structural Engineering/Water Resource Engineering.
- Bachelor s degree in same field is an added advantage;
- 3 years progressive relevant working experience in rural community water projects, especially in Mogovolas;
- Experience in design and supervision of piped water schemes, boreholes development and rehabilitations, and constitution and training of water management committees;
- Experience working in Mogovolas district with the local government.