Technical Expert (USAID/Sri Lanka & Maldives Climate Change Adaptation Project)
POSITION TITLE: Technical Expert, USAID/Sri Lanka & Maldives Climate Change Adaptation Project
LOCATION: Maldives or remote
UNIT: Forestry and Natural Resource Management (FNRM)
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Up to 20 days
DURATION: 9/21/2020 – 2/1/2021
Winrock is seeking a technical expert for the anticipated USAID/Sri Lanka & Maldives Climate Change Adaptation Project. The project is anticipated to be a five-year initiative to support climate change adaptation in Sri Lanka and Maldives. The objectives are to 1) enhance the resilience of the Maldivian government, private sector, and local environmental and community groups to adapt to the vulnerabilities of climate change and 2) strengthen the resilience of the public and private sectors In Sri Lanka to reduce vulnerabilities to the impacts of climate change.
- The consultant will provide information on current climate adaptation work in Maldives, hold meetings in person or organize remote meetings with relevant stakeholders, and collect information for use in the proposal and provide logistical support to set up remote meetings with key stakeholders.
- Using questions/template and parameters provided by Winrock, respond to technical questions to inform the design of the program.
- Prepare a directory of governmental, nongovernmental, and private sector stakeholders in Maldives that are engaged in climate adaptation, natural resource management, and disaster risk reduction. Provide their contacts, specific roles, strengths and weaknesses. The report should cover stakeholder groups in the following sector as well as others identified and agreed upon with Winrock:
- Private sector companies (tourism, fishing, etc.)
- Civil society, including media
- International and local NGOs
- Assist in the collection of relevant follow-up documents (project reports, research, policies, tools, etc.) from stakeholder groups and other sources.
- Support local recruitment efforts.
- Assist in the collection of “letters of support” from potential partners identified with Winrock.
- Help develop and continuously add to the list of potential stakeholders relevant to proposed programming.
- Provide detailed cost inputs based on local market knowledge.
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with Winrock’s Home Office.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience in environmental management, global climate change, international development, or relevant fields of study in Maldives/the region;
- Strong organizational skills and experience in securing and organizing meetings with relevant stakeholders;
- Experience liaising with government officials and familiarity with regional government structures;
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills in English; and
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume workflow.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.