Business Development Manager
Join WaterAid as Business Development Manager to work in a vibrant organisation that makes a difference. It's an exciting time to join a well-respected organisation and a dynamic, high-performing team with a successful track record in building partnerships with Nordic donors and ambitious plans to increase its portfolio and grow income in order to deliver the WaterAid’s programme ambition. As a motivated and experienced resource mobilisation professional with a passion for international development, your enthusiasm, confidence and excellent relationship-building skills will enable you to contribute to making sure everyone everywhere has clean water, sanitation and hygiene by 2030!
As Business Development Manager, you will be responsible for building funding partnerships in order to increase WaterAid’s impact, influence and income. Your primary focus will be on exploring a range of Danish funding instruments, and in particular public-private partnerships and foundations. This will require substantial experience and knowledge of these instruments. You will also support the existing Business Development Manager with opportunities to partner with Sida, Swedish foundations and other Nordic donors where relevant.
You will be part of the Programme Funding and Partnerships Team, and will work closely with the existing Business Development Manager, colleagues from the Corporate and Policy & Advocacy teams, as well as a range of colleagues from across the Federation. You will report to the Head of the team. You will ideally be based in Sweden, but there is flexibility to be based in Denmark. This is a 2-year contract with a strong possibility of becoming a permanent position.
- Actively cultivate a pipeline of funding opportunities for WaterAid country programmes from Danish donors at headquarter, regional and country-level, with a particular focus on the Danish Market Development Partnership (DMDP) and the Partnership for Green Growth and the Global Goals 2030 (P4G).
- Position WaterAid as a partner of choice for Danish donors for programming in which WASH is a clear goal contributor or barrier for success, such as climate adaptation, health, education, gender and urban development programming.
- Build consortia as needed with Danish organisations and other actors to access and secure funding opportunities.
- Undertake regular donor intelligence to seek early information about and influence forthcoming initiatives and priorities, and follow new funding opportunities and aid modalities.
- Work with colleagues in country programmes to develop and implement business development strategies to increase funding from Danish funders.
- Development of successful proposals together with programme colleagues and technical advisors, and ensure that all proposals submitted are of a high standard.
- Support the existing Business Development Manager as required with following up on opportunities with and developing proposals for Sida and Swedish foundations.
- At least 8 years of experience of successfully mobilising resources and building new funding partnerships and networks with donors in the field of international development.
- Demonstrated understanding of Danish development policy, aid landscape and networks in Denmark.
- Proven track-record of successfully engaging with donors and partners in a strategic way that creates opportunities to access funding, particularly public- private partnerships.
- Proven track-record of developing high quality bids and securing funding through commercial tenders & private sector partnerships.
- Ability to analyse the donor environment, identify trends, anticipate changes, and adapt strategies accordingly.
- Experience of working in an international organisation, building relationships with colleagues in different entities and countries, and coordinating people in order to work effectively and flexibly to achieve targets.
- Experience of and comfortable with working in a matrix organisation, requiring an ability to influence colleagues at various levels without management lines.
- Ability to work under own initiative, self-starter and self-motivated.
- Externally focused and proactive attitude, with the energy and passion to engage people and excite them about WaterAid and our mission.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiating and influencing skills.
- Great presentation skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Relevant academic background.
- Proficiency in English, Danish (verbal and written) and working knowledge in Swedish.
- Availability to travel, and if necessary for several weeks at once (if and when Covid-19 travel restrictions are lifted).
- Understanding of Swedish development policy and aid landscape.
- Experience of developing winning proposals for traditional grants from institutional donors and foundations.
- Working knowledge of French.
- Experience in working on WASH issues.
Please send your CV and a personal letter to email@example.com by 20 September. Interviews will be held in late September. Feel free to email any questions regarding the position to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Hannah Morris, Head of Programme Funding & Partnerships, on phone number +46 73 661 22 74.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Union representative Unionen for applicants living in Sweden: Lisa Fyrhammar, email@example.com, 08-677 30 38