The successful candidate will primarily work on the Development of the Environmental Strategy and Action Plan of Bosnia and Herzegovina project (BiH ESAP 2030+) as a key policy expert. The policy expert is expected to oversee and coordinate the content development of the project, such as action plan inputs and synchronisation between four jurisdictions, alignment with Strategic Environmental Assessment recommendations and situation analysis for BiH, as well as assure BiH ESAP 2030+ alignment with the EU environmental acquis. Furthermore, the policy expert will be expected to utilize their expertise in assuring the continuous government stakeholder buy-ins of BiH ESAP 2030+ as well as being responsible for the successful implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system of the project. Finally, the policy expert will be responsible for quality assurance of the project outputs in close cooperation with the project manager and the project coordinator (based in BiH).
Key duties and responsibilities include
- Contribute to the successful delivery of the BiH ESAP 2030+ project and that those project activities and outputs meet high-quality standards
- Play a leading role in designing and implementing working methods and project activities, including stakeholder engagement
- Lead project team in the planning and execution of thematic working groups in BiH. Working groups are technical level expert groups responsible for developing specific chapters in BiH ESAP 2030+, such as water, waste, biodiversity, air quality-climate-energy, chemicals safety and noise, sustainable resource management and environmental management (horizontal policy)
- In collaboration with project team members, lead and contribute to the preparation of relevant research and project outputs (reports, peer reviewed articles, policy briefs and presentations)
- Coordinate the implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) system of the BiH ESAP 2030+ project with advice from SEI’s MEL Specialist
- Support effective internal and external outreach together with the communications team and engage with policymakers and other target audiences, including attending or hosting meetings and events in Bosnia and Herzegovina, virtually and elsewhere
- Provide strategic guidance on policy development and policy risk mitigation
- Support required project reporting activities
- Provide project management support when required
- Contribute to other SEI projects and the continuous development of SEIs research, including, but not only, through leading research and policy analysis and carrying out fundraising.
Who you are
We are looking for a person with a strong interest and proven experience working with complex projects with multiple stakeholders in the field of reform or development of new policies and regulations within the environmental field in the European context. To succeed in this role, you should be driven, motivated, organised and a strong team player.
- Masters level qualification (or higher level) or equivalent work experience in Public Administration, Economics, Environment or other relevant topics
- At least 6-7 years’ experience working for a governmental department and/or European Commission, or externally supporting a governmental institution
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, for both technical and public audiences
Essential skills and experience
- Solid knowledge of European Union environmental policy, management, and regulatory settings
- Experience in supporting governments with environment-related policy reforms (preferably as a condition for accessing EU)
- Practical knowledge of one or a few environment-related European Union directives, e.g. in the field of water, waste, climate, air quality, chemicals, biodiversity, natural resource management or horizontal policy
- Strong insight and ability to understand and respond to political developments and challenges
- Track record of using research to inform policy and practice, including demonstrated interest in and ability to convene and engage stakeholders and to facilitate policy dialogues
- Proven ability to understand and navigate complicated institutional and policy settings
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary diverse teams, including teams comprising of researchers, technical roles and policymakers
- Excellent communications skills and ability to produce written outputs (reports, peer-reviewed articles, policy briefs and presentations)
- Experience in designing and facilitating workshops, training and moderating seminars or conferences
- Project management experience
- Outstanding leadership, diplomacy and interpersonal skills
Desirable skills and experience
- Previous experience working with projects in Bosnia and Herzegovina or wider Western Balkans
- Experience in dealing with the government in post-conflict countries and/or policy reforms
- Fluent in one (at least) other European languages (preferably one from Western Balkans)
The successful candidate is expected to be able and willing to relocate to Stockholm where SEI HQ is based. The contract is two years with the possibility of extension depending on funding.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 20 October, 23:59 Stockholm local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter (maximum 1 page).
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae.
Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Bernardas Padegimas, Project Manager ( ). Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to My Persson, Recruitment and Competence Specialist ( ).