Research Associate (Civil Engineering, Schulich School of Engineering)
The Department of Civil Engineering in Schulich School of Engineering invites applications for a Research Associate. This Full-time Fixed Term/position is for approximately 1 year (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
The Research Associate reports to the Principle Investigator (PI) in the Department of Civil Engineering.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Conduct the research activities under general supervision & direction of the PI
- Duties include literature review, field work, laboratory work, data analysis (using statistical tools), model development (i.e., calibration and modification), and report/paper writing, but not limited to
- Understanding of safety codes and standards
- Reliable and safe operation of all field and laboratory equipment
- Keep laboratory and work area clean and safe
- Establish and maintain effective, productive relationships with staff, peers, immediate supervisor and senior management and with the campus community
- Manage own time effectively and ensure immediate reports to the PI on activities and progress of work
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Master of Science degree or higher in water resource engineering or related areas;
- Experience using SWMM for urban stormwater modelling
- Experience in performing model calibration and validation
- Demonstrated programming experiences using Matlab and/or Python
- Experience using ArcGIS
- Experience in collecting data from field
- Experience in conducting water quality assay
- Proved ability to work in collaboration with researchers, stormwater managers and practitioners
- Good communication skills, and ability to write technical and scientific papers
- Demonstrated good time management skills and be able to meet deadlines
- A valid driver's license
Application Deadline: October 7, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase 1.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Schulich School of Engineering visit Careers in the Schulich School of Engineering.